Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hair grossness

So...

Lately our shower hasn't been draining quite that well... and today our sink wasn't draining quite well so I decided I was going to go to the store and buy two bottles of liquid plumber foaming crap to clear them out.

I figured I would do the shower first. The other day I noticed that the hair was getting caught up on the top of the drain which is pretty gross since our drain is more than wide enough to allow for the hair to pass through (not good at all.) ... I took some toilet paper and pulled that shit off and saw that it went even further below.

I pulled the top of the drain off in the shower tonight, took a fork and grabbed what I thought was going to be a small clump of hair.

Oh no, I was wrong. Get ready to puke.



I shit you not, I pulled enough hair from the drain (there's still more further down that I can't get at) to equal the thickness of one of my ponytails. When wrapped up in a ball it was bigger than my fist. It was fucking disgusting.

The last time I used drano/liquid plumber on the drain was about 4 months ago. This has accumulated over the last year.

I almost threw up.

Thank god the sink only has bits of food in it.

As much as I love hair and all things to do with it, I used to have a MAJOR hair phobia. If even one of my own hairs fell out and was sitting on my shirt, I would have to get someone else to take it off of me. I HATED hair that's fallen out.

I've gotten past that but THIS is more than I can handle. Needless to say I will be throwing out the fork I used to clear out the drain.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ew ... ew ... ew!
That's what I pay a super to take care of ... sooo not going there!
You're a braver gal than I. I totally would have vom'd.

Shaz said...

*gags* Uggggh I hate drain hair so gross and slimey.

Marlee said...

Tell me about it. It was like coated in shaving cream foam. It was so frickin disgusting.

Smelly Danielly said...

Yea, I learned that when you have 50 lbs of thick brown hair on your head it will eventually turn into 50 lbs of thick brown hair in your drain and it is so gross. Thats why I bought a hair catcher and I clean it out every time I have a shower. So much easier!

Marlee said...

Yeah agreed. The last place I lived at had one and I would just clean it out every time I showered, but this place... not so much. Ugh. I wonder if I Could find something for it somewhere. It's a pretty big drain :S

Smelly Danielly said...

Chad got it at Home Depot and they had all different sizes. Just bring the plug thing and use it as a tester for the size.

Marlee said...

It's a shower not a bathtub, so it just has a sort of, "cover" it's basically a metal disk that fits into a hole and it's at least 4 inches in diameter. I'll see if I can find something though

Mike said...

Yum.

Stop complaining about your hair loss.

What I wouldn't give to be able to cut my hair short and not look like I'm 40!!

Ashley said...

Def just gagged when I saw that. This post makes me laugh cause this just happened to us but was further down in the plumbing and my husband had to take some pipes apart and shove a hanger down. So gross.

Stacey said...

Although...there is something strangely fascinating about how much hair can actually accumulate there.

Krista... said...

this is sick. ahaha...i have had my fair share of disgusting hair in the drain stories though. yick.

Ophelia Mourne said...

gross, worst part of cleaning a house: toilets and bathroom drains

yuck