I have gained basically 10 pounds in the last two months.
At first when I started noticing a pound or two I figured it's because I'm not working so I'm not burning those calories that I used to. Then I figured it's probably because I'm not eating properly.
Then I noticed changes in my diet. I've been really pushing myself to eat a lot more veggies and I've been doing quite well with it. But my appetite started to change and I am hungry all the friggen time. I always want to eat.
Then I noticed that I wanted to eat things all the time, that I normally wouldn't eat much of. I enjoy icecream and chocolate don't get me wrong, but I very rarely crave them. Now all of a sudden all I want to eat is junk food. Chips, candy, icecream, chocolate, pop, it's all I want to eat.
Now... the last time I was off work I was off for longer than I have been this time. I was eating MUCH worse then, and I wasn't any more active then than I am right now. So by all reasoning I should have gotten fatter THEN instead of now.
Then I realized that the time of all these dietary and weight changes started can be pin pointed to the exact timing I started this new pill.
Then I started thinking some more. The doctor told me that if I got the Depo Provera shot that I would likely gain a lot of weight -- anywhere from 15-20lbs or more in one years time. The Depo shot is the progestin hormone, no estrogen.
This is just a theory here but I would assume they could be linked. This new pill I'm on is a low estrogen dose and a high progestin dose. It is 3mg's of drospirenone (progestin) and 0.02mg's of ethinyl estradiol (estrogen.) It has the absolute lowest amount of estrogen you can have in an oral birth control.
So here's my theory. If the birth control I am on is high in progestin which is what is in the depo shot, and the depo shot can cause you to gain weight because of the high doses of progestin... then in theory this high progestin pill could be entirely responsible for such a large weight gain.
I decided to put that theory to test last night. I researched what people had to say about this brand of pill. It seemed like nearly everyone who said anything about it said that they gained quite a lot of weight while on it. "Changes in weight and appetite" are listed as a side effect but a few women did report that they lost weight while on it. However majority rules and this pill equals a fat maker.
I've concluded that this will be the last oral birth control I try. I'm done with the hormones right now, I just want my body to get back to it's own regular levels and hope the surgery does some good.
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You know my own experience with that ... and I think your reasoning is sound. I mean, when you think about it, hormonal contraceptives essentially fool your brain into thinking you're pregnant ... that can't be good for your system. Good luck getting off the pills and getting off the weight.
If you are ever in need of a running buddy, gimme a ring :)
I hope the surgery works out. Detox your poor body from all those crazy hormones and goodness knows what else is in them.
<3
Post a Comment