Monday, May 25, 2009

It's Business... It's Business Time


These are my favourite hair products to date and I use all 5 of those when I style my hair. A lot of people ask me what they should use, what I use etc etc and truth be told it's different for each person. But I will vouch for these products as they're all awesome.

The Redken Extreme anti-snap (blue bottle) is a leave in treatment for distressed hair. It's got lipids and proteins in it so it helps build up the strength of your hair again and helps reduce breakage. I'm still new to this product -- I was using the CHI straight guard product before this but I'm liking this one better.

I towel dry my hair and put some of the anti-snap in and then after that I use the Redken Color Extend. There's two ways of using it, you can use it in the shower after you shampoo. Leave it in for 2 minutes then rinse it out, or you can spray in towel dried hair and leave it in for better protection. This product is awesome for anyone with coloured hair but I would even recommend it for people who don't have coloured hair. It has a UV filter in it and what most people don't think of or know is that the sun is just as damaging to your hair as it is to your skin. Whenever you're out in the sun all day you're completely distressing your hair if you don't use the proper protection. This stuff is awesome and if you don't want to spend the money on it you can always use a spray sunblock -- however this stuff doesn't leave your hair all greasy.

After I blowdry my hair I put in the CHI silk infusion (small grey bottle.) You can put it in before you blowdry but I prefer to put it in after. It's just a smoothing serum. They call it a "reconstructing complex" but basically if your hair is kind of dry it just gives it that soft smooth feel to it. I love it, I use it almost every day. It's awesome to use before you straighten your hair, it almost acts as an iron guard.

The CHI shine infusion is just a shine spray. For brunettes you might not need it so much but I find that blonde hair doesn't shine the way dark hair does so I like to use it to make my hair a little shinier and healthier looking. It's an aerosol and you defs don't need much of it.

The last stuff OSIS+ Dust it by Schwarzkopf -- best shit ever. If you ever back comb your crown for a bit of volume or whatever this shit is ten times better than that and doesn't break your hair like back combing does. I just got started on this product too but it's amazing stuff.

Lately I've been buying cheaper shampoos (because really I am so damn cheap sometimes and hate forking out the money even though it's totally worth it.) I do however try to find the better shampoos and conditioners if I can. I just got some new stuff today the "Root Awakening" by John Frieda. I have no idea how well it will work personally I just bought it for the smell. I'm a total whore for mint/eucalyptus/lemon grass scented products. This stuff smells so good.

If I were to request any shampoo I personally love the Joico Silk Result for thick/course hair. It is awesome stuff. It's actually not TOO expensive and you can find it in places like london drugs now but it's def my all time fave shampoo and conditioner.

I like to switch up the shampoos and stuff though. Just like body washes and soaps it's not good to stick to the same one all the time or it can start to build up and thrash your hair.



I have three different hairsprays -- I use one for myself (a light hold) and the other two are for updo's. I use a basic sunsilk curl enhancing cream and it does the trick. I have two iron guard sprays -- the Matrix Vavoom Gold Heat stuff I really like to use when I straighten my hair. I don't like the other one I have (CHI iron guard) because it seems to leave your hair kind of sticky feeling.

I don't know. Aside from that I really don't use anything else. Definitely the 5 products I use I recommend that everyone has in their collection of hair stuff. The only one you could knock off if you're not into volume and hold is the "Dust It."

4 comments:

Shaz said...

Tell me Salon Swami, why is my hair, the part that's grown in after months of not dying it, getting lighter?

I'm supposed to have black hair, not some weird bbq sauce brown-red colour.

I feel like dying it blue :(

Marlee said...

It seems strange but hair does change over time, sometimes getting lighter, sometimes getting darker. When you colour your hair a lot the chemicals can do a lot of damage to not only the hair strands but also the roots and follicles. There could have been some sort of reaction between the dye you were using and your follicles perhaps?? I'm not entirely sure. Have you asked other hairstylists before??

Shaz said...

Nope, but then I stopped dying my hair after my last haircut.

The most I do now is trim my bangs and the splits at home.

I could just be imagining it being odd because I've always had some dye in my hair since I was 13.

Marlee said...

Possible, easy to forget our natural colour -- I sure as hell don't remember mine hahaha