Hurray for me I get to work at 5am tomorrow so that I can get off work at 2:30 like usual. Since it's Friday we're only working 9 hours instead of our usual 10. I was going to start at 4am so I could get off at 2:30 but I was told 5am would be fine to start at. Not so bad.
I wanted to get off early because tomorrow Ellie (Jon's girlfriend) and I are going to go downtown to do some shopping. She hasn't left the hospital much and wants to find a present for Jon for his birthday on Saturday. I am really looking forward to the trip. I'm going to pick her up at the hospital and of course say a quick hello to Jon, and whisk her away for some time away from things to help take a load off her shoulders for the time being. She is having a really hard time, as I know anyone would if their boyfriend/girlfriend was going through this... it is a lot to handle.
Saturday as mentioned, is Jon's birthday. I have to work and won't be able to take the day off unfortunately, but we're only working 8 hours (only.. pfft, still a full shift) so I will be off at 2:30. I'll probably head down to the hospital to wish him a happy birthday around dinner or so. Perhaps Ellie and I can find a near by dairy queen tomorrow and order up a sweet cake for him too! If the family hasn't done so already. :)
I'm glad to say that Jon is doing alright for now. His first round of chemo is over and he is officially back at the cancer clinic. He has had to switch back and forth between the VGH ICU ward and the cancer clinic in order to be able start his chemo when he did. Finally he can get comfortable and set up his room the way he wants to. He had a rough time with the chemo. The only thing he's been able to stomach is icecream mainly. He has had two seizures now, (they are a common side effect of brain surgeries) and unfortunately during his second seizure he dislocated his shoulder. They upped his anti-seizure medications so hopefully those will be under control now. He's having quite the difficulties. Even with all that's going on he's still in decent spirits. The doctors say he will probably start losing his hair in about two weeks.
I've been talking to a friend I used to work with in FSJ. He had testicular cancer when he was 25 and beat it. He's in his 30's now. I don't know how to describe the comfort it brings me when I'm able to talk to him about it. Knowing that he's been through much of the same treatments just gives me so much hope and helps me understand more of what's happening in Jon's body right now. He talked to me about the chemo treatments and what they do and what they're like. It sounds morbid but sometimes when you know the details of whats going on and you have a better understanding of it, it helps you grasp the concept of everything a little better. I guess what is really nice to know is that he said to me "If I can even help one person get through what I once went through, be it someone experiencing cancer themself, or a family member or friend of the person with cancer... it makes everything that happened to me worth it."
I found it very admirable.
All in all, I'm very excited to get to see Jon again. It's been a week tomorrow since I've been able to see him.
My roommate right now is horribly sick (as in puking every 15 minutes kind of sick) so I've kind of shut myself away from her. It sounds mean but I can't afford to be sick right now... not only for work's sake, but for the obvious reason that I cannot get Jon sick when I visit him since he barely has an immune system right now.
Yop is really worried about Krystal cause she can't keep anything down if she tries and is puking even when she's got nothing to throw up anymore. I've been trying to convince her to just try to take some gravol and try to keep it in for as long as possible to try to take off that pukey edge. So far it's not helping but maybe soon it'll get better. She's managed to get two half pills down and threw up about 20ish minutes later, so hopefully some of that has absorbed into her blood stream so she can stop hurling and get some sleep.
But since I have to get up at 4am I'm going to go to sleep. Oddly though, I feel like I should eat a pizza pop before bed. Hmm.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Work... at 4am... I am having the hardest time imagining this concept - How the hell do you that!?
Just barely is how I do it haha. I got up at 4 to work for 5... so I had an hour to "wake up" so to speak. Then I set myself up in the saw shack with a heater and a radio :)
Post a Comment