Saturday, February 21, 2009

Happy Birthday Jon

It's Jon's birthday today. He's spending today with his family and hopefully getting some good food. He didn't throw up yesterday for the first time in awhile so he's starting to feel a little better.

I picked Ellie up at the hospital last night and visited with Jon for a few minutes then we headed off downtown to the rock shop. She found him a few t-shirts and a hoodie, along with a Doors flag for his ugly curtains. I picked him up a belt and am still looking for an incense burner for him, they didn't have any cool ones at there surprisingly. We could have spent some time looking around the stores on granville but unfortunately I was retarded and forgot to pay for parking. I never drive downtown (yesterday was my first time ever driving downtown) so I'm not used to this pay parking bullshit everywhere you go! Luckily I never got a ticket or anything.

After we finished that we went back to the hospital and I asked if she wanted me just to drop her off but she said she'd like it if I came up to visit for awhile. So I went up to visit for a little bit and as we were sitting there bullshitting about the red bag Jons gramma bought Ellie (she tried to pawn it off on me haha) we heard a big crash in the hallway. So I leaned back a bit to look out the door and found Jons dad and Phil having wheelchair wars in the hall. One was in Jon's wheelchair and they had hunted down another to play around in. Jon wanted to get up so they gave him back his wheelchair and they went to find another one. When they got back we made Jon the judge while the rest of raced around the hospital in the wheelchairs. There was a loop you could do so each of us would go in seperate directions. Phil and I kinda crashed into eachother at one point because I'm a terrible wheelchair driver it turns out and the nurse wasn't too impressed. She was trying to get past us with someones IV but we were kind of in her way. We politely moved over so she could get past then continued on our way! Ellie got us busted though haha finally one of the nurses had had enough I suppose. And I'm sure it was for good reason, after all it was after 7pm in a cancer clinic full of patients who are either receiving chemo or have just finished a round of chemo, or are about to start a round of chemo. Meaning no one there feels good and is going to be exhausted all the time. Either way it was really fun to get out in the hall with Jon and make some laughs. He seemed to be entertained by it all.

He's back in his normal clothes so he can stop bare-assing the hospital. He says the nurses are probably more excited about that than he is hahaha. He's got a paddle up on his wall that someone gave him. I asked why it was up there and then noticed the sign underneath it that said "You might be up shitcreek but you're not without a paddle!" ... I thought that was really cute. There's lots of pictures and stuff up there too so it's really awesome to see everyone's support.

They've started a trust fund as well which I thought was a great idea, it'll help them afford GOOD food since the hospital food he's been getting isn't too awesome.

It was a really great night. I got to hang out with Ellie and talk to her for awhile about everything, see how she was doing and just talked more about what was going on and how everyone/everything was going, but also get her out of the hospital and away from all the family so she could enjoy doing some birthday shopping for Jon. So far no ones really had any one on one time with Jon, and everyone needs it, but no ones really willing to stay home or get away from the hospital for a few hours. Finally Ellie managed to get some time with him today, she finally spoke up and asked if she could. The whole family feels the same way. I think what they need to do at this point is agree that "okay today so-and-so can stay with Jon, while the rest of us go out for a few hours, then we can rotate until everyone's had their chance with him" kinda thing. Hopefully the stress won't get to everyone and cause them to be at eachothers throats.

Aside from that, it's really nice to see Jon starting to feel better after the chemo. He's gotta get his blood taken 3 times a day still, and all sorts of other crap. Is of course still on a lot of medications and anti-nausea stuff, but at least it's helping him feel a little more normal.

Anyways, I just wanted to wish him a happy birthday here as well. Even though he won't read this since he doesn't know the link!

No comments: