Today has been a really annoying day.
I felt like crap this morning, not only was I tired but I had cramps again so I decided I would show up for class 2 and a half hours late. No big deal, my teacher doesn't seem to give a shit about anything. I found him when I got there and was like "Hey Moe I just wanted to check in and let you know I was here" (since I knew if I didn't tell him, he wouldn't notice cause he doesn't come down to the shop while we're in there...) and he's like 'oh yeah that's fine, I'm leaving at 11 I have an appointment at 1. Clean up at 1:15 and go home at 1:30. I'll see you tomorrow."
OOOOkay. I ended up leaving at quarter to 1 because I got irritated with our project. It's really frustrating. You're taking a flat piece of plate, and putting small bends in it in 12 different spots so it makes half of a cone. You do this with two plates, and then join them together to make a cone. When you're doing this you cut out what we call a sweep (a semi circle cut out of cardboard with the same diameter as the inside of the cone) so that when you're bending your cone you can use your sweep to check to see if you're getting the proper diameter of the steel you are bending.
My diameter was perfect. 15 inch outside diameter. Just like the drawing. I rolled a piece of flat bar into a 15 inch outside diameter circle. You are supposed to weld that circlular piece of steel onto the bottom of your cone. It should line up perfectly because both have the EXACT SAME diameter... but no. It didn't. Because some spots are a little flatter than others etc etc and you can't ever make a perfect circle it seems, you get a slight oval shape typically. Everyone had the same problem at least and I know one guys was way off and everything else still turned out alright.
I gave up today though needless to say. I put my cone together, tacked on the box that is on the side of the cone, realized I took my measurements from the wrong line and decided FUCK IT I'll do it tomorrow. I'm not taking my box off and redoing it. I don't have time for that shit. My box isn't even the proper dimensions, but again, I'm not redoing it. My reasoning? : my teacher won't fucking notice it anyways. Not only that but the method we used to get our dimensions for our plate templates is a very inaccurate way. You're supposed to use trigenometry to figure out the proper measurements for everything, but they don't teach you how to apply trig to stuff like this until 3rd year. So we just make things out of semi-circles and lines. Not even kidding.
As long as it looks like the drawing, he'll pass you on it. So whaaaaatever. Tomorrow I'll fit my two pipes onto the side of the cone and call er a day. We have a test on monday too on Print Reading which is gonna be ball-licking fun.
Aside from that I got 94% on the math test we had on Monday. Not bad at all. So I'm sitting at about 92/93% right now. Not that it's hard to get a mark like that in this guys class since he doesn't really mark anything. I don't even know whether or not to be proud about it, because really, he gives everyone high marks. He doesn't actually mark you according to your work, he just looks at it and says "looks like 90%" ... Kind of annoying but whatever.
I just talked to my boss and told him about my doctors appointment on Monday. I wanted to let him know what was going on since obviously my health interferes with work so I told him what the plan was for everything. He asked how long I had left in school and I said I'd be done Feb. 7th and he was like 'well don't rush it, it's just Les and myself in the shop right now.'
There is NO work. He said he's never seen it this bad before. Pretty crazy I guess. So yeah, he told me to call him during my last week of school and he'd let me know if they need me around or if it's still slow. I told him it wasn't a big deal and if it's slow and they're worried about having someone come back just to lay them off again that I'd go and find a different job in the mean time until things pick up again since EI has already been fucking me around.
It's crazy to think about though. The construction/trades industry right now is extreeemely slow. It's bad for every single company out there right now and thousands of businesses are starting to suffer or are worried about losing money so they're all withdrawing from their contracts and quitting jobs mid progress! You know it's bad when people stop a job in the middle of the construction of it.
Oh well I guess, what can you do! I'll be keeping my eyes open for new opportunities and thank God for hair school in November.
On a bright side... I saw tulips while I was at safeway today and they made me so excited for the wedding next year! They were just the mini tulips but even those could be really cute to use for centerpieces or something. So many options!
I am making dinner for Dario and I tonight. I decided on turning some pork tenderloin I picked up at costco into pork medallions with madeira... but I'm just going to substitute for whatever wine we have in the fridge. I'm also going to make some scalloped potatoes to go with it. And just for Dario I'm going to have ciabatta buns to go with it. I feel like it's lacking a veggie but it already seems like enough food so I don't know if I need to go ahead with a salad or carrots or anything. We'll see I guess.
Hopefully it's tasty!
Oh and last night at costco I ran into someone I used to work with in Fort it was crazy. She came up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder and when I first turned around I didn't even know who it was, it took a second to register. I still find it very odd seeing anyone I know here since I never expect to know anyone anywhere I go. It was nice to see her though! It's been a couple years already so I just hunted her down on facebook. Turns out she doesn't live too far from me and is going to SFU for ergonomics.
Any job suggestions? I was tempted to try retail but then you have to wear the clothes and I don't have the money to spend on that shit so it won't be that. Maybe I'll try for an office job or a hair salon receptionist. Hmm.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Retail has its moments of sucking, BUT they do give you discounts on things and money towards clothes since they know that you HAVE to wear their clothes. They are not total assholes about it.
I would go on craigs list to look for jobs. Receptionist would be fun, but if you want a job with PLUM just let me know and i'll see what I can find out. The closest location would be like Granville or something, maybe west 4th or North Van. Anyways, let me know!
OR you could work here in the warehouse. I think they are looking for people, and I know it sucks being in a warehouse but you would get a discount on clothes and work 5 SECONDS from Alicia and I! HAHAH OMG HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE!!!
I seriously need to find a better job too cuz retail blows goats.
How about I pay you to be our cook? I want pork medallions too :(
HAHA oh my god us three in the same work building could be baad newws! But it would be so much fun! I will definitely keep it in mind if I can't find a job! I wouldn't mind doing something like that, but I really have no clue what it's all about or what to do (obvs I have nooooo experience in the whole retail/fashion field) but I'm sure I'd be able to learn whatever it is I would be doing! I'm going to start writing up a resume and I will call my boss the last week of school, soo February 3rd ish. I'll let you know if I'll be looking for a job after that! :D
Where do you work Shaz? The pork medallions were indeed a success. One day, even though I have not met you, I will get Pat to bring you food, from me. haha when you least expect it!
Post a Comment