I came home early from school today.
Yesterday I went to donate blood and it didn't go as well as last time. I don't know what happened it was the weirdest thing.
Last time I went, I had a slight hangover, I had only eaten an orange and a half since the night before, and my pulse was 100 beats per minute. Not the best blood-donating position you would think. But my iron levels were fine, and I was fine with it. They made me eat a couple cookies and have a glass of juice before I donated since they were worried as a first time donor that I would faint... but I did fine. Later on that night I did get a sudden hot flash and felt a little queezy, but I was fine after just sitting outside for a couple of minutes and then eating to get some sugar in me.
This time? Different story. UGH. I ate around 10am... I had a sandwich and some orange juice. I took a couple vitamins and then I went to my appointment at 12:25.
First you get your finger pricked and they squeeze the blood out and suction it up into a mini turkey baster basically... and then drop it into some sort of solution. If your blood sinks, your iron levels are good, if it floats back up, not so good.
Mine floated back up. So they had to do the secondary test. They take your blood and put it in a machine and if you're over 12.5 you can donate. I was 13.3. So not really that much higher.
So I go into the room where the woman asks me a million random questions of whether or not I've been paid for sex or have ever paid anyone else for sex... or if I've come into contact with any monkeys... or if I've had sex with a man who's had sex with another man since 1977. Just the usual questions. She takes my temperature, blood pressure and pulse... my heart rates only 83 this time (I have a naturally high heart rate and then combine it with a little anxiety) and my BP and temp. are fine. I finish that, go line up to donate. Finally they call me up.
I'm doing great, I have great veins so it doesn't take me too long. Half way through the blood shaker loses power, so now the nurse has to manually shake my bag of blood so it doesn't clot. This time I watched and it didn't bother me in the slightest. My bag is almost full (but you can't completely tell because the shaker wasn't working to weigh it or whatever) and all of a sudden I get this major hot flash. So I am fanning myself and the nurse is like "Do you feel hot?" and I'm like "uhh yeah quite..." so she's like "we have to take the needle out then, you can't keep donating today" so I was like alright whatever.
She takes it out, and I'm holding my little cotton ball down to stop the bleeding, and I start feeling really really nauseous. Like instantly gonna puke kind of nauseous. So they turn me on my side and they've got me covered up in wet cold cloths etc. I figured I would be fine. They grab a barf bag like the planes have, and hold it in front of my mouth. So I sat there for like a minute trying to fight back the puke because I didn't wanna puke in front of a room full of people that are losing a pint of blood, probably not a good combo. But yeah, I couldn't hold it back any longer. So I puked. Then the nurse is getting mad at me because I wasn't putting pressure on the needle site (like I gave a shit about bleeding out a tiny hole at that point when I was busy throwing up??) and then after about another minute I puked again. Then I was fine.
It was so weird!
The nausea had gone away as quick as it came on... and even the hot flashes stopped within a minute after I puked. It was sooo lame.
Luckily I had filled up the bag just enough to meet the requirements but then they made me sit there for like an hour drinking juice and eating cookies till I felt better. Which I felt better instantly. Gay.
Apparently if you have low blood sugar levels that day or your blood volume isn't the greatest (a little dehydration) then it makes you puke. So I'll remember that for next time.
That all leads me to today. I still feel kinda gross today. I'm just tired. I definitely didn't get enough sleep last night, and I have my specialist appointment today so I decided I would go into school, take my math test, get the assignment and go home.
We got our tests back from Friday and I got 93% on that. But get this... the 2nd question I did everything PERFECT. PERFECT okay. Nothing wrong at all. He gives me 9.5... I'm like whatever I must have fucked up somewhere, didn't think anything of it. Then a kid goes up with the same thing and he's like 'Hey moe? Why did I get 9.5 if there's nothing wrong? What did I screw up on?" and Moe is like "Oh you did everything right, but you are apprentice. I don't give apprentive 100%" ..... soooooo you can do everything 100% correct, but he'll still only give you like 93 tops. It's weird. Whatever though he also doesn't fail you on fuck all. So I guess it evens out.
Now I'm at home, relaxing. I'm going to eat and have a nap. Then get up and get ready to go to my appointment in the afternoon. I have no idea where the building is so I'll have to go early to find where the hell I'm going!
So that was my weekend. Sorta anyhow. Time to go eat now I'm starving.
Monday, January 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
omg that's so weird that you were pukey!!!
good on ya for donating blood...I've been too chicken so far in life. Slash I'm pretty sure I have low iron levels.
Post a Comment