Sunday, September 5, 2010

I Can Say I Hope It Will Be Worth What I Give Up

There are simply not enough days in the week, or hours in the day, to do all of the things that I want to do.

I have decided to take the stat off tomorrow so that I actually have two days off in a row for the first time in I don't know how long. What am I doing with my day off? Sleeping and getting my hair done, and finishing up that commercial.

The filming is mostly done I think. It's due on Tuesday AHHH. I spent last Thursday with my friend Jeremy filming ALL day. It was one hell of a long day but a lot of fun. I'm really excited to see how the commercial turns out. And who knows, maybe I'll win a trip to Paris with it? That'd be pretty friggen sweet.

Fall classes have started up again which means I'm back to 11 hour Wednesday shifts. I'm actually excited about this though because we're going to get to learn some really great new things. I'm starting to figure stuff out on my own more and more, but it's nice to continue learning.

Now that the commercial is mostly out of the way, and summer activities are dying down I can finally start putting my focus on doing some photoshoots or something. I think some nice fall and winter shoots are in order. I should really try finding some photographers that are doing shoots that are looking for hairstylists. I don't even know how to go about all of this but I'll figure it out and start getting that underway. Once that's complete I think I will start dedicating my time to setting up a website/facebook page/twitter account as well so I can build an online portfolio.

I would like to have that all up and running by the end of the year. Next year I will be starting to focus my attention on the fashion aspect of things. I will be trying to get my hand in doing hair for fashion shows, photoshoots, as well as competing. I definitely want to compete in the contessas next year!

So many plans, so little time.

In other hair-related news, today was a bit of a crazy day at work! One of my lovely clients who had hair down to her bum came in for her haircut today. Yesterday we did her hair for her wedding and styled a beautiful updo, and today we cut all of her hair off! It was beyond exciting. It is seriously liberating to be able to cut off 2 feet of hair. She left with a beautiful chin length bob that suited her so immensely I couldn't even remember what she looked like with long hair afterwards! It was so exciting!

The only other crazy thing that happened today was the fact that one of our stylists almost got seriously injured today. Like could have potentially ended up in the hospital had it not been for the perfect placement of a chair. We have one station at work that happens to be an old wood based pedestal table with a marble top. On top of that marble table top sits a 4 sided mirror (think in the shape of a diamond) so that four stations can be set up there. Unfortunately no one realized that the base of the table was broken and while the stylist went to clean the mirror, she put her hand on the table to help herself stand on the chair to reach the top of the mirror. Unfortunately the whole table and mirror fell over on top of her, and this thing isn't light. The mirror alone easily weighs over 200lbs and took 3 of us to pick it up off of her. There was a chair right there though that thankfully kept a lot of that weight off of her so she got away with a bruised ribcage, a bruise and scrape on her lower leg, and a bump on her cheek. Poor girl! She was a tough one though and stuck it out the rest of the day. I'm not even going to lie, had it been me I would have been like "alright, fuck this I'm going home!" haha.

What else is new? My cousin is getting married October 10th in Salmon Arm and I'm debating whether or not it is a wise decision to go. It would require me missing about 5 days of work, which will end up costing me a lot of money, not including the cost of the trip itself. I'm not sure I will go yet. I feel awful because I love her and she's my favourite cousin, but seriously, who has a wedding in Salmon Arm when NO ONE not even her or her fiance live there?? The only people that live there are his grandparents, the other 100ish guests all have to travel from all over BC and Alberta.

I will have to post some new pictures soon or something. I really don't have many to share but I will try to find some. I'm still in the midst of just trying to find time to sleep, let alone do anything else in life. I sometimes feel like all I do is work. I'm never home anymore except to sleep. I'm downtown everyday and have made some new downtown friends so that's been consuming a lot of my time. I have literally met about 30+ new people in the last two weeks outside of work. I can't even begin to remember all of their names, it's a bit crazy.

I think at the end of the year when I'm a little more settled with work and I get a raise, I will be moving downtown. I am so over Burnaby it's not even funny. 2 hours of my day is spent commuting just to get to a place where all I do is sleep. I don't even think I eat here more than once a week. I think I'm going to move into the West End, although I would looove to live in Coal Harbour. I'm going to get rid of my car and be done with it I think too. I don't seem to miss my car too much right now seeing as how my license is suspended. (At least I think it is, I haven't mailed in my license but I'm pretty sure it's still suspended anyways...) I've seriously dropped 5lbs just from the amount of walking I do now which is great. I am at least getting enough exercise now to balance out my shitty eating habits.

I'm so excited to have two days off in a row. I was going to go out and shoot guns tomorrow, but I really wanted to get my hair done instead haha. One of the stylists I work with planted the platinum seed in my head a few weeks ago and now I can't stop thinking about it. So I'm cutting off an inch of hair, (two off my longer side) and bleaching that shit right out. I'll post pictures tomorrow night or something to share I am sure.

As for right now? I'm going to catch up on some sleep. I may or may not have been drunk two nights in a row which has resulted in about a total of 6 hours of sleep for the weekend. On a good note, it turns out I can drink beer and tequila in the same night and NOT puke the next day. I'm running an experiment right now to see which alcohols give me the worst hangovers. It's not the most enjoyable experiment, but it might do a world of good in my future! It'd be really nice to not barf like a bulimic every time I have anything to drink. I could just stop drinking all together, but there's no fun in that.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Can't wait to see your new haircut!

Starling Social said...

I agree with Stacey, put pictures up soon! :)