The Fundraiser was held on Thursday and it was a pretty big success. Unfortunately we didn't meet our goal of $35,000 but we did raise over $20,000 which is still really amazing.
The whole day was insane. I am still recuperating from that very long day. I got up at 6:30 in the morning and didn't get home till about 2 in the morning. It was a loooong day. Factor in doing most of that day in high heels while standing on tile flooring and you had me, in bed, ready to lose my mind over how sore my feet were. Getting up for work the next day was like pulling teeth. I still had another 4 days of work after that 18 hour day. I've worked about 65 hours this week and I finally have today off so I'm using it to relax.
Overall the event was an unreal feeling. I was lucky enough to have Jon here for the week so we could finally catch up on a much needed visit. It had been far too long since we had seen eachother. Having him at the event made everything so much more worth it. My manager asked if he would be willing to do a speech before the auction and he agreed to do so. Thankfully he read me his speech before the event a few times so I was able to prepare myself for a very heartfelt speech. It was unreal actually. He started by introducing himself and talked a little bit about the cancer he was diagnosed with and his battle with it to date. He started to talk about his parents giving up their jobs to be with him in Vancouver during his treatment, as well as his sisters putting university on hold so they could be with him. He choked up a bit so I put my arm around him, told him it was okay, and he kept speaking. It was incredibly emotional and everyone in the room was just blown away. When you're able to put a face to the cause that you're donating to it really makes it hit home for people. Reminds them as to why they are there and what it is they are helping with. Everyone started to cry even though the speech wasn't a super sappy one or anything. It wasn't a "poor me poor me" speech it was just Jon's story and what his life has been like. The part that hit me the most was when he said, "When you hear the words 'you have cancer,' it literally takes your breath away. Your whole life just stops and you can't breathe." I think we all know someone who has cancer, or who has cancer themselves, and I'm sure you all know the feeling when you find out someone you love has cancer. It's an instant fear that takes over your whole being and it is a very consuming feeling. It doesn't ever seem to end and it's a thought that is always there in the back of your mind. I can't imagine what it's like to battle the disease itself.
So this day and night event was dedicated to helping find a cure, particularly for Childrens Brain Cancer. Yes the girls all dressed up in lingerie and served beer, wine, and shots of fireball to the clients as they got their haircut. Yes there were models and half naked firemen (photos of those to come,) and it may all seem like a cheeky and superficial way to raise money, but overall it was a fun, entertaining, and successful way of raising money for a really great cause. So here are the pictures from the evening.
 |
| Jess and I at the beginning of the day. |
 |
| Bre pouring beers in the back. |
 |
| Katya cutting hair looking cute as ever! |
 |
| Anna cutting hair in her 60's getup. She's like a modern day Marilyn Monroe! |
 |
| Melissa in her adorable outfit. |
 |
| The lovely Ari. |
 |
| My manager Nicole. The salon Owner's niece. |
 |
| My instructor from school, the beautiful Elissa! |
 |
| The lovely Renata, she's one of our receptionists. |
 |
| Just SOME of the schedule for the day. That's a lot of haircuts. |
 |
| Sweet Silvana. Love this girl. |
 |
| Elissa giving some love to one of the clients. |
 |
| Silvy doing the same! |
 |
| The beautiful Alana, the girl who never ages. (Seriously she's 29, would you have ever guessed that?) |
 |
| Clark getting some wine for her friend. |
 |
| Another former instructor, Katie, very newly married too! |
 |
| Our Australian receptionist Megan. Such a sweetheart this one, and sadly she'll be leaving us to go back to the motherland soon. :( |
 |
| What do you mean it's not appropriate to rub your tits on the back of your clients head? haha Good thing they're friends... |
 |
| My manager Renee, and her fiance Phillip, who is also a stylist at our salon, and a Wella colour rep. These two are amazing! |
 |
| I wasn't cut out for modelling poses. It's very apparent that I'm too butch and SUCK at looing feminine. Megan however looks phenomenal as always. |
 |
| Elissa, Lisa, and Nicole posing for some camera's. |
 |
| Somehow some Kanye glasses were going around the room. |
 |
| Posing at the sinks, but I couldn't get Anna in the shot :( |
 |
| Model, actress, and hairstylist Chasty! She is one of the sweetest girls I've ever met. |
 |
| Another of our receptionists, Kaitlyn with Megan. |
 |
| Anna and Clark comparing their "Larry's" as Clark calls them hahaha. I love this picture. |
 |
| Melissa and Chasty. |
 |
| Girls posing in a very hectic and messy back room! |
 |
| Chasty and Lisa. |
 |
| Making fun of Jess's pose haha. |
 |
| Scalp Massages? haha |
 |
| Silvy and Bernice. Our lovely Irish girl? I actually haven't had the chance to really meet her yet. |
 |
| Alana and one of her clients. |
 |
| Jon flipping me the bird and drinking a beer at the evening event. |
 |
| Jon and I. :) |
 |
| Jess and I hanging out, as she smokes at a friggen cancer fundraiser. Yeah you heard that right, people actually smoked at a cancer fundraiser! |
 |
| Katya with an empty plate of appetizers. Mmm. |
 |
| Jess serving as well. |
I didn't take too many pictures of the evening event, since Megan was running around with her camera doing that and I was too busy running around all night helping out and visiting. I'll post those when Megan puts them up perhaps!
So that was most of our day and some of the evening. Definitely a LOT of fun. The guys loved the fact that they were able to do shots of fireball, drink beer and/or wine, and get their haircut all at the same time by someone half naked. One guy actually ended up being an hour late for work because he was with his friends waiting for them to finish getting their haircuts, before he realized he forgot all about having to work! hahaha. I think his boss would understand assuming his boss was a man.
A big thank you to everyone that helped make this so successful, and an even bigger thank you to Jon for being such a huge inspiration to me and everyone else that was there that night. You are amazing and I hope you never forget it.
6 comments:
thank you so much. you did an amazing thing and it means the world to me. words cannot describe my gratitude to you miss marlee.
I wish I could have gone to that, looks super fun!
I wish I could have been there, it's such a cute (and sexy!) idea!
Omg the girls of axis are certainly braaaave! At least you all looked amazing! So much fun!
Very awesome indeed. Well done ;)
This was a heartfelt post that was also very sexy. Nicely done.
Post a Comment