Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Fuck You Ref!" and Other UFC Profanities

Well the weekend has come and gone, and I've barely noticed it was here. I no longer get two days off in a row. I have Tuesdays and Thursdays off. It's kind of strange really. From a business standpoint it makes sense so that I am more available to my clients, but from a social life standpoint I can see it being inconvenient. It's a good thing I love what I do and that I get to meet some really great people on a daily basis because it doesn't feel like work at all.

I'm trying to juggle a million things all at once. I'm collecting what seems to be too many hobbies. My latest interest is BMXing. Actually, it's not a "latest interest" at all as I've always wanted to do it since I was about 10 years old, but until now I've never put forth the effort in getting started.

I'm currently on a bike hunt. I'm trying to find a decent beginners bike on craigslist so that I'm not spending a retarded amount of money on a bike. Turns out there's some sweet deals out there so I will patiently await for the right one. I also very rarely drive my car anymore now that I work downtown. I drove downtown yesterday and ended up finding out that it would be 18.50 to park in the parkade until 6pm (I wasn't off until 7,) to which I decided "fuck it" and parked at a friends house and risked getting towed instead of spending so much on parking. That will be the last time I ever bother driving down there for work.

So that being said, it seems like my car is less necessity and more convenience and luxury, and a major expense in the insurance & gas department. I want to start biking and then get rid of my car all together. It also ties into the whole "moving towards Vancouver" thing as well. My friend Jessica and I are thinking about getting a place together for September most likely so again, the use of my car is becoming less and less. I've spent every day downtown for the last 2 weeks and I can see myself getting tired of this daily transit.

Anyways... This past weekend my dad and younger brother came to town because UFC 115 was here and we got tickets! We had really great seats actually. High enough up so that we could see over the cage as opposed to looking through it the whole time, but not so high that we couldn't see anything. We also only had one row of people in front of us so no one was blocking our view at all. It was a bit of a bummer because I had to work all weekend, where as at my other job I was scheduled to have Sunday off so I never got to spend much time with them but we did have a blast at the fights!

This is the first picture of my dad and I together since I graduated highschool. It's about time!! I have no family pictures with my dads family and then crap-tons of pictures with my mom. Watching UFC or boxing was something my dad and I always did when I was a kid. It was kind our "bonding time," as was hunting. I always love doing stuff like this with my dad. I love this picture.


Josh and my dad.


I may or may not have been sporting a UFC shirt that night... but in my defense it was bought at the actual event and I have liked UFC and have been watching it since I was 6 years old... back when Royce Gracie was bad ass. I'm still slightly ashamed to have this shirt, but at the same time I do actually like it. I can't believe I'm admitting this right now. I really wish that the douche population hadn't taken over and made this shit unbearable.


It totally was a sea of fauxhawks, affliction, and skanks. I would say that about 95% of the female population that was there were just there because their douchey boyfriends invited them along. You know, the girlfriends that pretend they like it even when they are sitting there falling asleep (yes, that means you girl who was sitting in the row behind me passed out for most of the events! Waita waste 300 bucks of your boyfriends money!)

Bad ass Bruce Buffer was announcing as per usual.


My dad was very clearly stoked on life. It's a pretty cool thing when you've watched something for SO many years and then FINALLY being able to see it live for the first time in Vancouver.


Joe Rogan doing the commentary on the other side of the ring. Its really weird watching the fights and not actually being able to hear the commentary. It seems oddly quiet in real life. He totally kept hyping it up to be more exciting than it was. Some fights were straight up terrible and boring and then Joe Rogan would come out and act all excited, but you know damn well he was thinking the same thing everyone else was.


This is just before Rory MacDonald (white shorts) and Shithead Condit (red shorts) fought. Rory slaughtered Condit in the first two rounds but took a beating in the third. Then the ref made a really stupid call and stopped the fight with 8 seconds left! EIGHT FRIGGEN SECONDS. Rory took one punch to the head and the ref stopped the fight when he wasn't even remotely close to being knocked out. I could not believe it, the amount of uproar this fight caused was crazy. There was more cheering going on in this fight for Rory than there was for any of the other fighters that night. He's a 20 year old fighter from Quesnel (yes that's right, Quesnel, up by where I'm from yaaaay!) and he's the youngest fighter ever in UFC history. He's one tough son of a bitch. I was stoked on this fight cause I saw Rory fight in Prince George at King of the Cage when he was 16 years old and he destroyed the guy. He put up a really good fight and I wanted to see him win so bad, not just because he's a good fighter but because I really fucking hate Condit. He's such a twat-bagger. Unfortunately he lost. This was major disappointment # 1 of the night for me.



This fight was major disappointment # 2 for me. I have developed a good crush on Pat Barry. One, his legs are so thick it's retarded, and we all know how I'm a sucker for a guy in tight shorts with tree-trunk legs. No? We didn't all know that? Well, I love guys with big legs. I think it's the hottest thing ever.

Anyways, to go with that ridiculously oversized and incredibly sexy fighters body he has an incredible personality to go with it. He isn't such a cocky arrogant prick fighter like most UFC fighters today are. He is very genuine and they had a story on him on Spike for the prelims and I actually almost cried. He worked his ass off to be in the UFC and literally had nothing. He was eating rice and ketchup, was behind on all of his bills, but still pushed on to be a fighter. He's an incredible kick-boxer and has trained with some of the best kick-boxing trainers in the world. He was finally offered a spot in the UFC and after being dirt poor for months he won fight of the night, and knock out of the night and was paid 134,000 dollars for the fight. What did he do with that money? Well, he paid off his debts, used some as a downpayment on a house, and the rest he invested and put into savings for his future. He won 3 fights with a total of 6 leg kicks. He actually made a guy tap out by kicking him in the leg and turned the guys knee inside out. He's incredibly tough.

SO, I was totally stoked to see him fight against Mirko Cro Cop and I thought it would be a wicked fight. Turns out, it wasn't. I was quite disappointed. He knocked Cro Cop down twice in the first round but just let him get back up. Who does that? And then... they actually hugged DURING one of the rounds. Not in between rounds or before the round started, DURING the actual fight, they HUGGED. What the fuck?! He had an immense amount of respect for Cro Cop since the guy is pretty much a legend and I thought for sure that's why he lost the fight... that is, until I saw the interviews after the fight. Turns out he had a broken right hand AND a broken right foot that was broken during the first round. Imagine fighting for an extra 10 minutes after breaking both your right hand and foot? Ouchy. So I'll forgive Barry this time, but next time he better do me proud!


For the record... Barry is in the blue shorts. Look at those sexy legs.




The main event was Chuck Liddell vs Rich Franklin. I have honestly always hated Liddell but he's slowly started to grow on me. Something about his face makes me angry though. This was the only knock-out fight of the night and was actually decent. Liddell is off his game though and needs to retire. He has no chin anymore and gets knocked out really easily. He also fights like an idiot most of the time and keeps his hands down so he always gets tagged because he can't get his hands up to block in time. Idiot. Surprisingly though he came into the fight like he'd actually spent the last 9 months training. He was fighting pretty good and even broke Franklins left arm... BUT Franklin caught him with a nice right elbow and as Liddell was on his way down Franklin tagged him with a nice left hook with his broken arm just for good measure. When they showed the replay in slow motion it was so disgusting watching all of his broken bones contort even more.


Dana fucking White! (The bald guy in the suit behind the guys with the sign)



Family photo! The first picture I have with my little brother since we were kids I think. I finalllllly convinced him to take a picture and actually smile! I'm stoked.


Overall the fights were awesome. The card wasn't the greatest card but it was still really exciting and a lot of fun to watch. There were a few really boring fights for sure but there were a few that made up for it. The entertainment value alone is hilarious though. The things that people yell out are always perfect for a good laugh!


2 comments:

Mike said...

I honestly HATE UFC and Pride Fighting, etc.

I'm still more infinitely entertained by WWE and traditional boxing.

Stacey said...

I don't know why people get so jacked up about UFC. It's man's original sport. First came fighting, then came hockey!