Monday, March 1, 2010

A Treasured Memory I Will Never Forget

Three weeks ago I could honestly say I feared what the Olympics were going to be like. I worried about transit and how ridiculously busy this city was going to be. But, now that it's come to an end I can honestly say I am sad to see it all leave. (Well for the most part, of course we still have the paralympics but you know what I'm getting at.)

What an incredible two weeks. I sat in a pub today watching our country play hockey (oh, how we do it best) and as we won gold I started to cry. I have never in my life felt so patriotic as I have these last two weeks. I have never seen so many people be so warm hearted towards one another (aside from the American the entire skytrain fingered after we won Gold - for good reason, he was still being an arrogant cocksucker.) And never before have I ever felt so proud to be a Canadian.

Had I still lived in Fort St. James I never would have been able to experience this incredible adventure.

No I didn't go see a single event, no I didn't even step foot into any of the houses; I just found it amazing to walk down the street where everyone high fives you and cheers while they sport their Canada gear. You can call me lame, whatever, but I truly enjoyed just being a part of the crowd.

Today this city truly showed me what it was like to be a Canadian. I have always felt pride in this country but definitely not like this.

Congratulations Vancouver, I think you did an incredible job hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics. It feels so weird to know that the streets will soon be quiet again but I will never forget this experience.

I only wish everyone I love could have been here to experience it with me.

1 comment:

Krista... said...

i only managed to get over there for one day but i am so glad i did! it was an unforgettable experience.