Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How Now Brown Cow

Things have finally started heading in the right direction. There's been some frustrating, upsetting, and stressful things happen in the last few weeks/months, but there's been so many good things happening as well that I'm finding myself able to finally just brush the shit off and be happy.

I've caught up with two very dear friends of mine, both young and both battling cancer. Unfortunately Jon has received some not-so-good news but he is still doing very well and we're hoping for some changes. There is always hope no matter what even though this year has been excruciatingly brutal in terms of things going down the ripper. It's definitely been teaching me the extreme value of patience.


My favourite ladies <3>

My life right now is all over the place. It feels like I never have time for anything but somehow I'm still out there making life work. It feels fucking great actually. I'm drained already but there's some sort of determination there to just plug through this and do what I love to do... and that is hair. School doesn't feel like work, while it exhausts me more than my actual job does it is just the best feeling to be there. I feel so satisfied for once and I don't want to miss out on anything. On Monday we had our colour theory class and our instructor was allowing us to leave early if we wanted, and this is where you can tell who cares and who doesn't in our class - about 5 people got up and left, the other 10 stayed until our alotted time just to sit there and ask questions. It was so much fun. I love sitting there learning about the technical aspect of haircolour and creating scenarios. I loved that we sat there talking about hairstyles that need to go and ones that should be coming back in. I love euro trash hair (and no that does not include the fucking faux hawk -- that is turning into a disease of the century, much like the mullet.) I love listening to our instructors stories and experiences. I just can't get enough of it. I am so beyond happy being there that I can't even explain it.

Where mannequins go to die.


Today I was exhausted and could barely get out of bed. I sat there and argued every reason of why I should stay home and sleep, and yet somehow I dragged my ass to work. I was late, but I showed up. I had 10 billion excuses and I thought to myself "no, you are going to do this fucking 40 days in a row, and then you are going to do that 91 days in a row, and then you are going to fucking keep working your ass off because it is SATISFYING." And I will say right now, the next person to whine about "ohhh I wish it was the weekend" is going to get a nice little roundhouse kick to the chops when I'm done this. I will say though that I finally know what it's like to live the life of Quan. That bitch be crazy! hahahaha.


Shaving Grahams leg with the hedge trimmer.


I'm going to be an "auntie" to one of my friends babies next year (possibly two if the other one gets knocked up soon) and I couldn't be any more excited. However things are still on the DL because she's pretty early into things yet so I won't drop any names. I am incredibly happy for her though and can't wait to meet her little baby (which I'm positive is going to be a baby boy.)


I've broken back into my old personality - my exuberant and outgoing self that will make conversation with anyone, anywhere, anytime. It's been awhile since I've had her around for some reason I got a little shy for awhile. It's a weird thing because a lot of my old personality has come back, but it's completely modified so I'm still a totally different person than I used to be, but with my favourite qualities that I never wanted to lose. That is a pretty cool feeling to me.

I don't remember a single one of those guys's names, but clearly we were all having a good time. I still don't understand why the one guy is dressed up as what appears to be an african safari bee-keeper when it was really a flapper theme but whatevs!

The lovely birthday girl Ann:


I've started getting a little more into the fashion aspect now as well and I feel great when I'm all dressed up. I'm still not great at putting outfits together but I'm getting better! I'm starting to find a style that fits me so I can continue to work on that.

I've lost weight and am very happy with how my body is looking and I'm just overall extremely confident right now. I'm officially down to 135lbs and I'm more than okay with that. I still have some fat here and there, I'm not perfect and I don't feel like a rockstar in a bathingsuit by any means, but who does? I'm eating as normally as I can given my hectic schedule and surprisingly most of my exercise is coming from school. You wouldn't believe the amount of muscles you use when you're cutting/blowdrying hair!


I guess what I've noticed more than anything is I am finally developing a personality that is strictly mine. I've given up on giving a shit what people think. I've always been an odd ball, especially in the city, but I just don't care anymore. I like me, I think I'm pretty fuckin badass. HAHA just kidding.


Milena and I in the upper picture, Klara, Mel, and I in the lower picture.


I can't wait to get back home for Christmas to see my family now. It's going to be a really great week up there, cold as shit, but great. I've got lots of plans when I'm up there. I'm going to be doing some hair while I'm there, getting in some good visits, and eating more turkey dinner than is necessary. Deal? I think so.

5 comments:

Keira-Anne said...

I'm really happy to hear about how well you're feeling, how much you've accomplished and overcome in the last few months and how much you have to look forward to in the future.

P.S. The new hair colour is HOT!

Krista said...

I never noticed your tattoo before I like it!

It's so great you're not letting the frustrating bits get you too down. And that you're loving school. Those mannequins are pretty scary though that is a room I would need someone to hold my hand in.

Naomi said...

I just found out one of my best friends is pregnant as well and I'm so excited to be an 'Auntie'. She is gonna be my babies Aunt as well. hehe.

Glad things are going so well for you. You look great and happy. It is nice to see.

Stacey said...

The manniquin room is extremely creepy. Has someone wrote a horror movie around this?

Marlee said...

Thanks Keira-Anne!

Mom, Krista - you don't even know how creepy that room is. Our basement is the freakiest place ever, full of mannequin heads and terrifying airbrushed mannequins and monsters, with pictures of monster like things everywhere... You never want to go down there alone haha