On Monday I went to class after I got off work. I left work an hour early since we had to be at school earlier than usual to pay for our kits and tuition. This was great because it gave us all some time to meet and get to know one another a little bit.
We have some really awesome girls in our class. There are a few that I'm sure will get on my nerves though and I can see it already. It really bothers me when I see girls taking courses just because they don't know what else to do or because their parents signed them up. Which is the case with one 19 year old girl in there. She's nice and everything but she says she doesn't even want to do this but her parents signed her up while she was in Australia. I WISH my parents would sign me up for school while I was off galavanting around in another country!!
There are a couple of moms in our class. I believe a total of four. One in particular is really sweet. She is from Fort St. John. She's 31 and has 3 daughters and will be travelling to Vancouver every week... Yes you heard that correctly. She is going to fly here every friday night, and then fly back to Fort St. John every Tuesday morning. She's not sure if she's going to last the entire 6 months though. She already almost dropped out when she got here and I don't blame her one bit. What she is doing is going to be extremely exhausting. Travelling in the winter months on a weekly basis from Fort St. John of all places is a fucking disaster. Her flights will be cancelled and delayed so frequently.
We had about an hour before class to get acquainted so we all talked about where we were from and what made us decide to do the course etc. I learned that there's quite a few girls in there that already work at salons so they're a little more familiar with some of the things but that's okay. It'll be a lot of fun.
We have a few instructors. I think we have 4 instructors, maybe 5 even? I can't remember now. One of our instructors is an incredible stylist and teacher. He has been in the industry since the early 80's and has worked in london, scotland, and in canada. He's really awesome. I think he will only be our instructor once a week though.
"You will learn the rules, and then you will learn the ways to break them."
That was something he told us. He told us a lot of things actually that I found extremely interesting. We discussed a bit of how to interact with your client and he touched on a few things clients will say or do and we are supposed to just let the client feel as though they are right and/or smart haha. We talked a bit about products and our course outline. Did a half assed shampoo demo and then we were let out of class early.
We were going to get our textbooks but they are buried underneath all of our kits which we don't get until Saturday so now we will get our textbooks on Saturday as well. Which kind of sucks because we have a test on Monday already.
We also do our first haircut on Saturday so that's exciting. Then in 6 weeks we will be having "friends and family week" so don't be cutting your hair or dying it cause I might need some of you as models!!
It's going to be a lot of fun and I'm getting more and more excited about it each day!
There is a no denim policy in the school so and seeing as how it's winter I decided I would go get a few things for class (tights and/or dress pants since I won't be wearing any skirts with bare legs) ... I went to Forever 21 last night and fuck my life that store is going to be the death of me and my wallet! SO much cute stuff and nothing is expensive. The most expensive item I saw in there was 51 bucks.
These were my favourite purchases by far. The coat was 41. The necklace on the left was 10 and the one on the right was 5. SO cheap.
I'm going to take it easy both tonight and tomorrow night and then on Friday Mr. Pat Zaph will arrive so it's cambie time. I will not be partaking in the drinking that evening though seeing as how I have to be up at 7am the next day and there is 0 tolerance for lateness in our class. If you're late 4 times you get kicked out.
It's going to be a crazy 6 months but I am SO excited that it's finally started.
5 comments:
Glad to hear you're so optimistic about the school year! :)
I wish I was at hair school... or something besides work.
that's the best quote ever.
i've gotten many of those types of lectures throughout college. those all turned out to be my favorite professors.
Ohhh I want to know what clients say that you are suppose to let them think they are right so that I don't say those things hahahaha.
haha Danielle I'll make sure you know! (Some of them I've said before! I was so embarrassed HAHA)
Mike - it's so true. He seems like a really good instructor, the care-free/funny attitude always makes better teachers (at least they do to me)
Post a Comment