Monday, October 12, 2009

Weekend Review

Whenever I come back to Vancouver after being in Fort there's always a crazy mixture of emotions when I get back into town.

I am always thankful to be back in Burnaby but I always hate saying my goodbyes to my family.

This weekend was really different though. This weekend was about reconnecting with my old life and finding the pieces that fit into my new life. I didn't spend too much time in my hometown on my own when I was dating Dario and the times that him and I were up there we spent a good portion of our time with my family.

There's numerous reasons for that. One was that I wanted Dario to become a part of my family the same way I was becoming a part of his, and seeing as how we never got to see my family very often every moment spent with them was particularly special. The other reason for mostly just seeing my family instead of my friends is that I always feel bad dragging people around from place to place. If I'm on my own I don't mind going from one house to the next doing my rounds of visiting but with Dario along side I just felt like it would exhaust him and that he wouldn't enjoy it.

This weekend though seeing as how I was on my own I went back into town in full gear ready to play some catch up. I enjoyed every minute of the time I spent up there but I definitely felt a lot of things being home again and single.

I felt a lot more comfortable being home this time. Every time I go back to visit something major changes in the town so this time I even managed to do a quick drive around the town to see what else had changed since I was last there 2 months ago. They painted the elementary school, tore down the chevron, finished building the new grocery store on the reserve, started prepping to pave the roads on the Nak'azdli reserve, and my parents got a new stove and a new dryer.

That's quite a lot of things changing in 2 months. But it's kind of fun driving around on the same familiar roads to get re-acquainted with everything.

The visits with everyone were great. I managed to sneak in a day of hunting and at the end of every day I could feel how much I missed being home.

I miss the familiar faces, the hunting, the lake. I miss the town, I really do. I have a lot of great friends there and of course I grew up there so there is that attachment as well.

Of course because my whole life has changed these last two months there's been so many questions being raised in my head that I've been trying to find answers to. There is no doubt in my mind that I love Burnaby and I am very very happy here, but there's many things that I love to do that I can't do here (like hunting) and that makes me miss the small town life.

I'm hoping that as I get a little more settled into things here and actually have a steady/stable career job that it will make things a little easier. The reason I say that being settled in a job here will help that is because I'll be entitled to more vacation time and if I can spend a couple weeks a year up in Fort during the summer and fall then I'll be get my fill of small town entertainment and enjoy the city life more. You always enjoy your visits but I know if I lived there again I would get extremely bored and fast.

There were a few moments this weekend that made me realize how much I've changed. One was that I could no longer make fun of my friend Matt for wearing a pea coat as I have now embraced "fashion" as much as he has. I used to bug him every time he came to town for being a "city boy" and now I can't say shit since I'm starting to fall into that category. He laughed when I said "I can't even make fun of your pea coat because look at what I'm fucking wearing..." He replied with, "I won't lie, I was waiting for the jokes to start coming and I honestly debated whether to wear my pea coat or my Burton hoodie tonight." Him and I both agreed, we both feel like we're in between. In Fort we're considered city people, but in the cities we now live in we're still considered quite redneck. It's a black sheep kind of deal.

One thing I do know though is that I cannot keep up with Fort anymore. I went out Saturday night and didn't come home till 5am. I just don't do that here in the city, no one really does. I guess that's the difference with Fort though, the bar closes at 2 and no one shows up till about 12:30/1 and they only do that so they can find out where the after party is. There's aaaaaallways an after party.

Overall the whole weekend was a gong show. I didn't take a lot of pictures but I did take some so I will do a post tomorrow with pictures and talk about what I actually did on the weekend. Today I'm just too tired to write about happy things. AKA I'm emo today.

Jas posted a song on facebook awhile ago and I wanted to listen to it but couldn't because I was at work. Then this weekend when I was in Fort it came on the radio and I fell in love with it. So today's song is Stupid Boy by Keith Urban.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I'm emo too ... you're not alone. :)

Melissa said...

I'm eating a brownie.

It makes me happy.

Eat a brownie

Anonymous said...

i live in emo land....glad you liked my many links that i post. Love posting my favorite music and im glad you enjoy Keith Urban....he is FABULOUS! My new song that i love is George MIchaels "This is not real love".....im in love with it. Glad you had a nice trip home.

jas

Marlee said...

Melissa I just had a tin roof brownie blizzard at dq hahaha and it did make me happy!

Marlee said...

PS Jas I'll have to listen to some more of your links. Thanks for this song!!