Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Guns in Costumes

Well, open season is in full swing and I will be damned if I don't kill SOMETHING this year.

So to celebrate the fact that I would like to put my guns to use this season, next weekend Mark and I are going on a bit of a hunting escapade. Just a day trip but fun none-the-less. We'll probably end up completely skunked, but I don't even care. I just really want to get out and shoot something... preferably an animal but I'll settle for playing target practice even.

Strangely enough there are areas you can hunt that are relatively close to Vancouver. Basically around the Hope area or the Squamish area so tomorrow I'm going to head over to Italian Sporting Goods, grab myself a license and talk to a few of the guys there to get some info. See what sort of restrictions I'll be looking at so that I don't get myself into any trouble.

I'm sure we can all agree that the lower mainland is NOT a place where you can just freely go blast off your rifle anywhere you please. This isn't Fort so I had better pay close attention to the rules of it all.

I'm really just looking forward to the whole aspect of taking out my guns and having a good time. It's a pricey "sport" for sure, but in my opinion well worth it. What I mean by pricey is the amount of money you spend just to POTENTIALLY kill something. You have to factor in the cost of your hunting license, any tags that you buy... the limited entries are 5 bucks per entry then if you get one you have to buy the 25 dollar species tag on top of that. Then you factor in the cost of ammo and fuel. Before all of that you have to make sure you have at the very least your C.O.R.E. and typically your non-restricted license as well. That's usually a couple hundred bucks and you have to renew your PAL every 5 years now. Even just a cheap box of bullets or shells are around 30 bucks and lets just say they don't last long since you usually blast off a bunch of rounds just for shits and giggles.

It adds up very quickly, but it is so, so worth it.

This year will be a very low key hunting year, however I'm going to start preparing for next year already. That means for Christmas this year I will ask for camping/hunting supplies. IE a tent, a sleeping bag, etc etc.

I think it's time I accumulate some of these items so that I can pack up my shit and go if I feel like getting away for the weekend.

Ahh hunting season. It always brings on that sense of homesickness for me. Hot work days in the summer and hunting season... those are the two things that really make me feel the whole "I miss Fort St. James" thing. Hot work days because you can't just head down to the beach after you get off work here without it being 7 or 8 at night before you get down there, and hunting season for obvious reasons.

Vancouver has a lot to offer but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I can't wait to go out next weekend.

Now I really need to start thinking of a halloween costume too. I have no idea what I'm doing this year, but it should be something good.

1 comment:

Mike said...

If it moves, shoot it. Simple rules!

Also, whatever moves and you shoot, skin it and wear it for Halloween.

Two birds one stone... or bullet... you get it. Gah.