Wednesday, August 19, 2009

More Bacon Please

First off, let me start by saying I do not hate animals, in fact, I love animals very much. I like all animals and even reptiles. Snakes, lizards, none of them bother me. I think they're all cute in their own way.

People say I am a hypocrite though because I hunt... and how can you love animals if you hunt? Well... I'll explain.

I will NEVER give up meat unless for some reason I get some medical condition that forces me to have to stop eating meat. Meat to me is a necessity in my diet. I understand that you can replace your meat with other proteins, but I hate the taste of most of those other proteins. To me, bacon is FAR better than some chunks of tofu. Sure I can eat a vegetarian meal every now and again and some of them are very tasty, but after a few days go by I need meat, my body craves it. When you were raised like I was, it's not an easy task to just wipe meat out of your diet.

This is where the hunting business comes in. I have gone hunting with my dad as far back as I can remember. I enjoy it.

Judge me all you want, I really don't care. The same way vegetarians/vegans have their opinions, I have my own. You can go ahead and argue why you think I shouldn't kill animals, but you'll never win. You can tell me "picture them on your plate," and it still won't work.

I do picture them on my plate, I picture them on my plate when I come across them in the bush. When I see a big moose standing there, I have no sympathy at all for it. It's a totally different demeanor that hunting brings on. I separate myself from my feelings towards animals and it strictly becomes about man vs. food. Fact remains is that I'm still going to eat meat no matter how I get it, and I'd rather get it from the wild than in a store.

Most of you don't know what particular cow you are eating. It's just a pack of meat you got from the store that you're told is steroid free, raised humanely, and fed organic grains. Some people do visit the farms and stuff that these animals are raised on, but you still don't know what particular cow you are eating... you're just eating a cow from that farm.

Where as at least when I sit down and eat some moose (or any other animal for that matter,) I know what that animal looked like, roughly how much it weighed, how many points it had on it's antlers (in the case that it's a bull.) ... I know the general age of that moose, and how long the meat was hung for. I will have pictures of it in my photo albums. I will look back and think "wow that was still the best moose I've ever eaten." And on top of it all, I will have spent some quality time with some family or friends making awesome memories that I'll have for the rest of my life. I'll look back and say "hey _____, remember that hunting trip we went on where we shot that big bull?"

That animal will be something I remember for the rest of my life... where as to a lot of people, their steak is just another meal that will be forgotten all about.

Everyone associates BAD things with hunting when really, the animals I kill will have more meaning to me in my life than anything I could ever buy from a store. No matter what farm it was raised on or how humanely it was raised.

I eat meat GUILT FREE. And there is nothing that will ever change that.

10 comments:

Stacey said...

I wear leather and fur!!

Mike said...

You're just helping control the population so they don't do harm to themselves!! I'm fine with the concept.

Anonymous said...

well said

jas

Smelly Danielly said...

God I love meat. I need a bear skinned rug.

The only animals I won't eat are those who are kept specifically as pets, because those you get attached to. For example if I ever had a hobbie farm I would not eat the meat of those animals. But if I had a bunch of cows on a farm I would totally chow down on their steaks.

I feel the same way as you. My Dad grew up on a farm and in a lot of ways I did too. You raise the animals with the intention of eating them.

Andrea said...

No one should ever feel like they have to defend or justify a personal belief or lifestyle to another person. The beauty of being human allows for our own formation of free thought based on experiences, learning, maturation, and our environment, etc.

We will all continue to do what feels right to us. It's our own way of self-preservation and finding our place in this crazy world.

However, the easiest way for us to be proud of and feel comfortable doing these things is to recognise that not everyone is going to look at the world the same way. So, the less imposing we are of those sensitive subjects onto other people and the more appreciation, discretion, and sensitivity we portray, the less we will have to constantly justify ourselves.

If not, well then I have a feeling a lot of wasted energy will be spent in defense and explanation when it should really be spent on the enjoyment of the things that bring us happiness. Take your pick.

aliciafashionista said...

We should really go hunting together sometime...I LOVE to hunt, kill, and eat animals as well ;)
hahahaha
Whatever Marls...I think it's cool that you have something like hunting that you love and look forward to.
If the thought of eating meat didn't make me want to puke and I had been raised as a hunter then maybe I'd be eating your kill with you!
Ps when have I ever called you Marls? It just sort of happened...but I kept it!

Stacey said...

All the trees in the forest are different, that's what makes it beautiful.
I don't know who said it, but it sticks with me. I try to remember it when I am thinking about someone in a judgemental way.

Marlee said...

HAHA Alicia I'll take you out sometime ;) I'm sure you'd love nothing more than a big meaty steak right now, mmm.

Just to clarify, I don't think you should ever have to explain your personal beliefs, but I find that there are more and more vegetarians in this world and more and more of them get pissed off at me for killing animals which in return pisses me off. I don't get mad at vegetarians for their choices, so I hate when said vegetarians try to impose their will on me. I respect a persons right to eat whatever the hell they want, I would never EVER try to force someone who's vegetarian to eat meat, so why is it that so many vegetarians I know feel the need to try to convince me that what I'm doing is bad? It pisses me off beyond belief.

Danielle - you, me, and a steak, when you're not deathly ill. Deal? I think so. hahaha

Ciavarro said...

Danielle is a big fan of pork.

Marlee said...

haha nice Chad