Monday, June 1, 2009

Ze job

It's already 5:07. I want to eat dinner so I'm not going to do a whole post about the weekend yet. Maybe tomorrow night or something. I even have pictures this time Yaaay!

I was just going to update about today's job experience.

It was very very strange. It's a job for sure but kind of boring.

There is some humour involved I suppose.

I am a "filing clerk." Meaning I go around, pick up all the files, organize them all, then put them in their proper little folders in their proper filing cabinet.

The files are all documents containing peoples bitching basically. It's a real estate management company -- the main things they manage are strata's. And we all know how annoying strata's are. Everyone always has problems when living in apartments and what not.

So I will say that some of the documents are quite entertaining. Like one for instance was a complaint about people pissing in the elevator. Another one was complaining about people getting drunk and always pissing all over their balcony and windows (they lived on the ground floor obvs) ... Another one was about a man pissing off his balcony onto people below him.

There are a lot of pissing complaints.

Anyways... so my job is extremely straight forward. There are some confusing documents but most of it is labeled correctly and goes in it's corresponding place.

We work from 8:30 to 4:30 and get an hour for lunch. (Or you can break it up into two breaks and a half hour lunch or whatever you please.) And I will have my own little office down in the basement that has no windows. It's like a dungeon but at least it's not scorching hot.

The people were all really nice, I am just not used to the environment at all. Because it's an office it's also a totally different crew of people. There are about 50 some odd employees in that office between upstairs and downstairs -- it's quite a big office. I think the hardest thing to get used to will be the people. I'm so used to dirty steel-fab humour that it's weird to be in a place where it's a lot less vulgar -- although a lot of people do swear there just not as much as I'm used to.

All in all, the day went well, just a little boring. It's not as stimulating as I like. I got things done a lot faster than they expected me to so I kept having to ask for more things to do because there was still a few hours left of the day. That will also take getting used to.

Ah well, hopefully it gets a little better. It was definitely an awkward first day. There's so many damn people too that it's going to be hard to remember names.

I'll post about the weekend tomorrow. I'm starving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on surviving your first day! As a fellow admin support person, I can tell you that it will get easier to slack and you'll soon kick that nasty habit of asking for more work ;)

So nice to see you on Sunday!!!