Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Somedays It Feels Pointless

Every day I look at job postings. I'm in the midst of trying to find something for the end of this month.

So far obviously it's not going well mainly because I'm looking so far in advance and people need people now not later.

Every day though there are postings on there that are absolutely ridiculous and it pisses me off.

What people are paying right now is getting lower and lower. Receptionists a year ago were being offered a minimum of 15-16 bucks an hour. Now it's down to about 10-11 bucks an hour and they're asking for a minimum of 2 years experience. The odd time you'll find a 15 dollar an hour receptionist opening but they require at least 5 years of experience.

This whole "recession" thing really is taking a toll on the job industry. There are jobs out there, just not any decent paying ones. Nor are there very many good opportunities.

There's all these jobs that are asking for all of this experience but aren't willing to pay for it! They are trying to take advantage of the fact that people are out of jobs, so they can hire people for next to nothing now and people will take it because there aren't any better options.

It's frustrating really because at this point in time should I stick to changing directions and finding a new job, not only will I continue to struggle with trying to find one, but I will have to struggle to find TWO just to make enough to pay my bills.

My problem right now is that I don't have the experience I need to qualify for some of these jobs. It's unfortunate really because I can guarantee that I'd be damn good at any of them, but no one is willing to give you a chance.

I need a full time position first so that I at least have a full time job with steady hours, and once that schedule is set then I can worry about finding a part time job that works around the full time job. Neither is going to be easy.

It's frustrating and makes this decision a lot more difficult for me. Do I return to a job I am comfortable at, that I know well and am paid decently for? One that I am good at but can't work consistently? Do I sit here and hope that each day I'll feel well enough to do that job? Or do I give all that up assuming I can even find two mediocre shit jobs that I'll have to work 60+ hours a week at just to make ends meet? Right now neither put me in a good position.

I've never had trouble finding work before. I've always stuck to the trades industry though and my experience has always been relevant. I have the personality that suits working in a shop or out in the field. I had always been in well enough health to do the job until now. Now everything is turned upside down, I'm at home every day worrying about whether or not I'll ever be given the benefit of the doubt that I can do any of these other jobs of I've been applying for.

I just wish some once in a lifetime opportunity would come knocking on my door so that I could put this decision to rest.

2 in the afternoon and no success today.

No comments: