I'm trying to find bouquets/flowers that I like to use for the wedding and I had two flowers in particular picked out.
Tulips, and calla lilies.
Tulips I thought could be so springy and cute, but I was told they wilt easily in hand tied bouquets so I could use them for centerpieces on the tables, but it wouldn't be recommended for bouquets. Fair enough...
However calla lilies I thought could work beautifully for the bouquets instead. They hold their structure well, but apparently the stems leak a gelly fluid and it can stain your dress if you're not careful. As well as they can be expensive. It all makes sense but it just sucks that the two flowers I really liked, aren't great to use for bouquets.
I still may stick with the calla lilies for the girls and just make sure that everyone is careful with them. And then for my bouquet use them as well and find a few other flowers for colours.
Either way it's whatever I suppose. I'm hoping to find something, luckily I have lots of time.
My florist keeps recommending roses, and I know that they hold up and they're great flowers to use blah blah blah but I just don't like them, at least not for a spring wedding. They look beautiful in fall weddings, but when it's spring they just seem very out of place I suppose. That and I'm not going for an "elegant" wedding which I find roses are more up-scale/elegant flowers (just my opinion) and for our wedding I'm kind of going for a more 'cutesy fun' feeling.
Oh well perhaps I can find SOMETHING that will work.
I liked orchids also, but the big orchids are bad to use because they only have tiny short stems and you have to wire them into the bouquets which is a pain in the ass and they don't look as good... I could use the smaller orchids but they can also get very expensive so if they're not in budget I won't be using them.
I told myself I wouldn't turn this blog into a wedding blog so I won't talk about this anymore, but if anyone has any flower suggestions that would be great!
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
For flowers that leak you just need to wrap the stems and have the bouquet fully enclosed in fabric or ribbon, meaning you can't see the stems, but its not that big of a deal. It can easily be done and look nice.
That's kind of what I was thinking too?? I just think that no matter what there's going to be something wrong with every kind of flower you use. Like oh sunflowers have big stems and can smell bad, calla lilies leak, tulips wilt, etc etc. There always seems to be something dammit haha... but that is a good idea I'll ask Joan about it
What about daffodils, iris'(...irises?), peonies or daisies?
I have no idea how peonies would stand up for a bouquet but they were one of the first flowers I thought of for spring. And they're pretty.
They are beautiful, but crazy expensive I've heard. I do love them too but they just wouldn't be in the budget :(
well you probably could get away with roses since it's the end of May. It's not like an early spring wedding where the spring flowers are just coming out so I do think roses would go. It's practically summer! But since you are going for the cutesy I can see how they wouldn't go! :)
What about gerba daisies? Those are very springy! or peonies! expensive but gorgeous
Post a Comment