Sunday, February 15, 2009

Even if I had no hope, it wouldn't make this any easier. Jons sister and Ellie started a group to keep everyone updated with Jons progress. This was the first report.


Recently, Jon discovered a lump on his right testicle. He had an ultrasound on it February 8th and was waiting to hear the results. On Tuesday, February 10, Jon woke up with an unbearable headache. We took him into the emergency room in Vanderhoof at 9:00 am and by 12:00 he was on his way by ambulance to the hospital in Prince George. They took a CT scan of his head and it was revealed that he had testicular cancer and that it had spread to his brain. He had four brain tumors in total, but the largest one (the one that was causing the headache) needed to be removed immediately. He was flown down to Vancouver General Hospital on Tuesday night and had the tumor removed Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday night Jon had another CT scan which showed that the three remaining tumors had grown within the few days he had been here. His doctors decided to start him on chemotherapy right away, and on Friday evening, Jon started his first round.

The first round of chemotherapy lasts for five days. It is a very heavy-duty and exhausting treatment so right now Jon is concentrating on getting rest. At the moment, Jon is not up to visitors. The nurses advised us that the chemo is now affecting his bone marrow. As such, Jon's visitors are being restricted. We will do our best to answer any questions you may have on the group page.


I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say. I don't know how to deal with it. I knew the situation, I knew most of the details. But I didn't know the extent of the brain tumours. I didn't know there were 4. I didn't ask many details because I didn't want to upset anyone or pry open anyones emotions. But this is just, I can't handle it.

6 comments:

Naomi said...

Marlee I'm really sorry to hear what you (and your friend) are going through. I pray he'll kick it and get better soon! *hugs*

Marlee said...

Thanks Naomi :)

Melissa said...

I read your blog this morning but I had no idea what I could say to even begin expressing how sad this whole thing is.
I haven't gone through anything like this so i'm sure anything I think of would be the wrong thing to say... I'm really sorry that this is happening to your friend and he and his family/friends will be in my thoughts.
*hug*

Anonymous said...

this makes me sad....hang in there.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear :( Let me know if you need anything <3

Marlee said...

Thank you everyone for all of the support. It is a very sad and unfortunate situation but hopefully he will pull through this.