Monday, September 27, 2010

Dreaming Of New Places

I'm feeling the need to purge these days.

Not purge as in a mind-reading bulemic does, but purge as in get rid of everything I own in exchange for new shit. Including the house I live in.

I have decided that once I meet my goal of $5000 in services per month at the salon, I will make the decision to move. This is a bit crazy because my goal is to hit $5000 at the end of October. The reason I'm deciding to move after meeting that goal is because then I will get a raise. Until I get that raise I am in no position to move. So I've decided I will move 2-3 months after I meet my goal. There's reasons for this seeing as how I'll need a bit of time to save up etc and prepare for this. Also, because I'm going to Paris at the beginning of November that will put a bit of a hold on things as well. If I meet my goal next month then I think I will make my move out date January 31st because no one wants to move on New Years Day yughy.

So, I'm making some plans now to perhaps start collecting shit. I really need a new computer desk as I bought the cheapest, biggest, piece-of-shit desk on the planet when I moved into this place. Since I got rid of all of my stuff when I moved to Vancouver I ended up needing a few new things. I moved into a semi-furnished basement suite 2 and a half years ago and I've been here ever since. I barely remember the last time I had a couch that didn't smell like Grandma's house, or a mattress that wasn't a shitty Ikea mattress that could roll up and fit in the back of my car. (No jokes, I'm serious about all of this.)

I've bitched about this place numerous times. I hate that it's freezing in the winter, doesn't have a bathtub, and the power goes out everytime I use the microwave and forget to turn the heater off. I would love to have a place with a dishwasher, and maybe a bit of a view.

So what is it I want to do, what is it I want to have, and why?

Well, I have pretty much changed my life in all aspects but I feel its time to be more of an adult. I'm pretty over living in Burnaby. I'm over the commute mostly. Since I am planning on getting rid of my car, a change has to be made in location. This place is actually pretty convenient, but I really hate the walk home from the skytrain station. Even though it's less than a 10 minute walk away, it has got to be the sketchiest and most boring walk imagineable - right along side a creepy, dark highway with nothing but bushes and a creek on the other side of you. This isn't really a good time when you're walking this stretch at midnight or later at least once or twice a week.

I want to have some nice things again and a change in my surroundings. In turn this will take some sacrifice on my part, but I think during winter is the perfect time to do it. I'm already starting to hermit a little more (which is AMAZING by the way. I actually watched two movies last night and it was the best Saturday night alone ever!) which makes it the perfect time to stay in and save some extra cash. Then I can spend that extra cash on getting some new shit for a new place. I'm going to keep an eye on craigslist/furniture sales etc and when I find something I like/want then I will buy it. There are definitely a lot of sweet deals out there sometimes that I wouldn't ever think of.

In terms of location, I'll be somewhere downtown. I love the westend, but I'm also considering Yaletown, maybe even Gastown. Who knows. I'll keep my options open and if I find something I like in any of those areas then I'll take it.

The latest I will move out is at the end of February. I moved into this place at the end of February nearly 3 years ago, so I'll be damned if I'll go past the three year anniversary mark! That's enough of this shit that's for sure.

Mostly I just want a place that I can decorate and make feel like a home. A place that I actually picked out, with furniture that I chose, in an area that I want to be in. I'm so sick of staring at bare living room walls, with ugly brown floral patterned couches, with that disgusting blue extension cord going from the living room to the kitchen just so I can plug in the microwave. It's just not worth it anymore.

So, my list of stuff to get before February 1st/March 1st, 2011:

-New Mattress and bed frame (not a necessity cause mines not terrible but if I see a good deal then maybe, at least a mattress anyhow!)
-Couches (or used if they're in good condition and are actually NICE)
-Coffee tables (same as above)

-Pictures/Frames/Artwork for the walls
-New Dishes
-Bookshelf(ves)
-Kitchen Table (believe it or not, its been almost 3 years since I've sat down at a proper table for dinner in my own house)
-Computer Desk
-Dresser (or bedroom set if there's something on craigslist or on sale in a store for cheap)
-TV
-New Computer (this one is going to be a necessity real soon, this sucker is ready to crash real soon.)

That's all I can think of for now. Moving is never cheap which is a big reason as to why I've avoided it for this long. Also because moving sucks in general... but I'm certainly ready for some different scenery. I think for Christmas this year I'll just ask for gift cards to IKEA/futureshop so I can get some of this shit. I know my parents hate giving me money or giftcards but it would definitely be ideal this year.

I should probably go to bed now and stop apartment dreaming. It's 2:30 in the morning for fucks sake haha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

moving on to bigger and better is always exciting!!

congrats on the trip to Paris and Happy Birthday!!! :)

Jonathon said...

hah. I caught the Zoolander reference you little mind reader you. Remember Marlee the best thing about getting new places is the journey that it takes to get there. Much Love.
-Jon