Friday, May 28, 2010

You Hit Me Once, I Hit You Back...

I'm not quite sure why I'm still awake but whatever. It's Friday tomorrow and I only have to work until 6 so that's kind of awesome.

The long weekend was a lot of fun and I don't really have pictures. I have 3 pictures but I haven't even uploaded those yet... so yet again, another picture-less post! Whatevs.

On Sunday it was decided at the last minute over brunch that Ryan, Trevor and I would drive out of town to go shoot some guns. This ended up being quite a hilarious trip. First off we got all that we needed, guns/licenses/registrations/ammo etc, gassed up and drove towards Agassiz. We ended up at some prison that was right next door to another prison, which was right next door to a gun range. We decided that we obviously weren't going to find anywhere there to shoot so we kept driving towards Hope. We yet again didn't find anywhere there to shoot so we headed for Yale. Same thing so we passed through Yale and were nearing Boston Bar when I finally saw a side road that led to a gravel pit. It was perfect! There was even a big piece of plywood there that was just waaaaiiitting for us to set up some targets on it.

I really needed to sight my rifle seeing as how it's been 2 years since the stupid thing's even been shot. I'm sure I've bumped the scope a million times as well from having the thing stored in my closet. This is where things got interesting.

I have never in my entire life taken a gun to the face. Sometimes it doesn't even take a big gun to do some serious damage. My dads old roommate (yes he had a roommate when my parents first divorced) once took a 12 guage to the face. He turned to shoot it but accidentally pulled the trigger before he was ready (don't ever put your finger inside the trigger guard until you're ready to fucking shoot the thing and it's safe to do so - lesson # 1.) The gun kicked back and it was an older style gun that you have to cock... well, he took the pin straight to the nose and it literally split his nose in half horizontally. His nose actually started to peel off of his face.

Anyone that doesn't shoot guns probably thinks that it's not funny when someone takes a rifle to the face... but it really is. You don't mean to laugh and you do get really injured sometimes, but it truly is the most hilarious thing to see. Such was the case on Sunday.

I took my rifle out and got it all set up and shot the stupid thing a dozen times to see how well it was sighted. It was a few inches out so I knelt down to steady the gun more so my accuracy was better but I haaaaate shooting guns in this position. I just find I'm not as comfortable and I can't hold the gun as tightly into my shoulder. I fired the gun once and all was good but then I fired it again and I took the scope right square in the nose. I didn't get it too bad and no blood was drawn so it wasn't a big deal, it's more so embarrassing than anything. Thankfully neither Ryan or Trevor noticed so I didn't say anything. I handed the gun to Ryan for him to take a shot and that's when shit when downhill.

He knelt down and did the EXACT same thing. Only problem -- he has a big scar above his eyebrow already and he took the scope to that scar and so his forehead literally split wide open where the scope hit him. I still don't think it would have split had he not had that scar, but it's hard to say. He had a good inch long gash that was pouring blood all over the place, we had no paper towel or anything to clean up the blood with except for a fuzzy blanket. Needless to say, I'm down a blanket.

The worst part is that I laughed so hard. I actually couldn't stop laughing long enough to even get the words "Are you okay?" out in one full sentence. Even still when I think about it I start to laugh. I felt awful but it was really, really funny. I probably wouldn't have found it so funny had I not just done the exact same thing, but the fact that the fucking gun just bit me in the face too made it 10x funnier. I doubt he felt that way though.

I took him to the car and cleaned up his cut so that we could take a better look at it. He definitely needed stitches but we were way too far from a hospital so it was kind of a "fuck it" sorta deal. At least he was a man about it though and went back and shot the gun again so it didn't own him.

We shot a few more rounds then decided we should pack up and head back to Van for some dinner. I happened to catch a glimpse of my nose when we got back and it looked exactly like my fucking dads nose. It was horrible. There's a bump there now that definitely wasn't there before, I'm hoping it'll go down and that it's not actually broken, but that's looking unlikely. My nose is suuuper tender and I'm finding I can't breathe properly through my one nostril. I'm talking "just wearing glasses makes me want to rip my nose off" kind of tender. I iced it and the swelling has gone down quite a bit, but there's a bruise there still and I had a bit of a shiner. Thank God for makeup.

I kind of just want to hang around every guy I know and make it look like I'm their battered girlfriend. I feel like it could be really entertaining. If I'm gonna have a shitty nose I might as well put it to good use for some entertainment value. Right?

Anyways, so that was my Sunday out in the country. I'll talk about my Monday in another post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats quite funny that happened to me last year during hunting season I rested my elbow over the corner of my Atv and had a deer in sight but was to nervous to keep steady so I put my right eye to close to the scope and shot it but split my forehead right between my eyes and started laughing, at least I dropped the deer. I totally understand YOU!!!!

PatZ said...

took a scope to the face once while my dad and i were out target practicing. it bled, but it never hurt. it was more like "BANG WHACK...ow?"

I HAVE gotten a few fat lips from my 870 Super Mag though. that's just more hand position than anything else. take a few odd angle shots with 3.5" magnum shells and you're bound to smack yourself the odd time. I told Dario that he'd get a headache shooting that thing repeatedly and he never believed me. after a day, he believed me. I'm going to look at fitting a Knox SpecOps stock on it for the recoil reduction and the pistol grip.