Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Home Is Wherever With You

I left Saturday afternoon to head up to Prince George for my Grandpa's funeral. I wasn't actually expecting to even set foot in FSJ since the funeral was on Monday in PG, but when I got to PG my mom said we were going to be heading back home with Wendy. We got home to moms and decided to get some food cooking, meanwhile I went out on the quad with Cassidy and Jeph. My mom had to do the write up for the ceremony cards/graveside service but after that was done we sat around the fire, had a few drinks, and ended up spending a few hours singing karaoke.


The next day was Mothers Day so I woke up a little earlier, drove into town to pick up some breakfast stuff, and headed back out to moms to cook up some bacon, pancakes, and eggs. I really didn't even need to go to the store because she had everything anyways, but oh well I guess.

After breakfast we were about to start cleaning up when we looked outside to see that one of the cows was about to calve. This was kind of exciting for me because even though I've seen my share of newborn baby cows I've never watched one give birth before. These big mamas have been baby making for years so they're usually done pushing that sucker out anywhere between 15 minutes to 45 so it's incredibly easy to miss. Thankfully mom looked out the window and noticed this big lady standing all by herself in the corner with her tail sticking straight out in the air. She was sniffing the ground too which is another sure sign that they're getting ready.


The calves come out front feet first, and then the head etc. assuming everything goes smoothly. There weren't any complications this time around.


I'm pretty sure this is where cows end up half retarded though. The calf was half way out when the mom decided it'd be a great idea to stand up. They often look back and see the head of their baby and I guess they assume they're done or something so when they stand up the calf is hanging halfway out its vagine and then this happens:


Yep. She dropped it straight on it's head!! Poor little thing. It was okay though. Within 15 minutes of being born this little guy/girl was already trying to stand/walk. It kept falling over, it was so sad but so cute at the same time.


Still getting cleaned up.


Ellie and Fred stood by and guarded the cow and calf. I finally got a decent picture of Ellie too. She's terrified of the camera and hides as soon as she sees it.


This little guy was two days old. He was so rambunctious! I couldn't get anywhere near him to pet him. I did however get to pet the one day old calf for a little while. They're just so cute I can't even handle it.


After that whole ordeal my mom went to go get the funeral cards ready so I went out to the lake to visit with my dad, stepmom, and sister. We had a hotdog roast at the beach and then went back into town to eat more crap food.


I left my dads around 7:30 and headed out to my friend Kat's place. I decided a couple weeks ago that I really wanted to get my nose pierced but I wanted to wait until Kat could do it for me. It worked out so that I managed to get some time to stop in and see my bestie for a bit, hug and kiss that gorgeous little belly of hers, and have her pierce my nose.

She is 29 weeks pregnant already. I can't wait for that little guy to get out of her belly so I can awe all over it's cuteness. I get to be Faux-Aunty-Marlee and I'm pretty stoked about it. It seems like everyone I know is having babies but there's few people that I'm actually excited for. Kat's definitely one of them though.


Here I am getting ready to get stabbed. Ian took a bunch of pictures with his fancy camera so I'll steal those from him when he sends them to me/posts them. He's got some gnarly ones of the needle hanging out of my nose. It's kind of gross but meh, that shit doesn't bother me too much. Oddly enough my eyes didn't even water after the needle went through. That is pretty much unheard of apparently.


The next day was the funeral. My grandpa didn't actually want a funeral so we did a quiet family/close friends graveside service and had a reception at the Coast afterwards. It was a really short but nice service. Thankfully the weather that day was gorgeous.

The reception was also nice. We all met up to eat food, have a few drinks, and look at some old pictures. After having spent most of the day doing that my brother and I were both feeling pretty drained and wanted to leave. My mom was visiting with grandpa's friends so we asked if we could take off and she didn't object.

We decided to blow off some steam by taking the guns out. I called up Chris to see if he was down for a gunfest, and then another call was made to Hunter. Within an hour we changed, packed up our shit, and drove out of town a ways to have some fun.

Suck it Trebek.


I'm pretty sure this is my favourite picture of me. Hunter brought out his newly purchased SKS which I am officially obsessed with. This thing can pump out 5 rounds before one cartridge even hits the ground. Nothing says fun like semi-automatic military rifles. They are surprisingly inexpensive since there were so many made before the AK-47 took over... so needless to say I think I am going to have to buy one of these one day soon. It's not really good for anything other than shooting at shit, but that alone is reason enough.



We also brought out some of the shotguns and did some skeet shooting. I'm still pretty terrible at it... it's pretty tough shooting a 5-inch diameter clay disk mid air. It's good practice for bird hunting though, even though I only ever shoot grouse and it's pretty rare that those stupid things ever fly away when you pull a gun on them.




I love this picture of my brother loading the SKS.


Not only does this gun pump out 5 rounds in a matter of seconds, but it also has a nice little blade attached to the end of the barrel... you know, just incase you ran out of bullets and still needed to kill someone. No big deal.

This is probs how people accidently get shot...




It's one thing to look down the barrel and potentially blow your face off, but really? Balls first? That's just a terrible idea.

Don't freak out, the gun isn't loaded, the action is open, and the safety is probably on... maybe not though hah. There is just way too much trust between these two though. Part of checking to see if your firearm is proven safe is to look down the barrel after concluding there's nothing loaded in it. Even when I know that a gun isn't loaded I still find it a little unnerving staring down the barrel of a gun.




I love when Diddy takes pictures haha. I ended up with some entertaining pictures, a lot of which I haven't bothered posting.



The next day I hung around my brothers place. My friend Amber stopped in for a visit, then I met up with another one of my best friends (Megan) and Melissa for lunch. I finally got to meet Melissa's baby boy and I'm pretty sure he is the sweetest baby I've seen in quite some time.

After that I killed time watching the Canucks lose and hopped on my plane to head home.


Despite the reason for the trip the weekend was still overall a good weekend. I got to see many of the people I love most and got to do some of my favourite things that I don't get to do in Van. I sure felt an instant comfort as soon as I stepped off that plane. I even had the thought of buying a house on the lake in Fort cross my mind. I am honestly tempted to buy a house there that I could live in during the summers and on visits, then just rent a place in Van the rest of the time. One day maybe!

11 comments:

Smelly Danielly said...

In all my time spent at "The Farm" I never saw a cow give birth. And as grossed out as I probably would be in real life, I'm glad you took pictures of it! Now I know!!! I love little baby cows!

Alyson said...

Oh wow. My first time visiting this blog and I see... a cow giving birth!

Definitely coming back to this one.

Krista said...

Nice cow shots. But I love the one of you firing the gun. You look very comfortable at your home. Makes me want to live out in the country. It's nice to have a place like that to go home too. :)

Anonymous said...

Those were cool pics of you shooting guns I think thats awesome I too love the country and the outdoors and also love guns and hunting, YOU ROCK!!!!

Anonymous said...

Those were rocking pictures of you guys shooting guns out in the country thats freakin awesome .

PatZ said...

he should take the bayonet off, he'll get better accuracy... not that an SKS is the most accurate rifle in the world...

my dad and I are going to pick one up. we found a place that sells surplus ammo for it, 1200 rounds for $170.

Marlee said...

Awe! Danielle you wouldn't have been grossed out, it's really not gross at all... although I was watching from a distance haha I wasn't all up in her vajayjay or anything.

Hi Alyson! Thanks for coming by! haha my posts aren't nearly as entertaining as this one, but sometimes!

I agree Krista, so nice to be able to go home to stuff like that.

Hi Anonymous. Let's date? HAHA.. just kidding, but that's cool you're into that stuff! It's my favourite for sure.

Thanks Muggy!

Pat I think he plans on taking it off, but he'd literally just bought it the day before so he hasn't bothered yet. But yeah they are terrible for accuracy. That's some cheap ammo! I don't even care that this gun is useless for everything, it's just a lot of fun hahaha.

aliciafashionista said...

Hahaha the cow giving birth was unexpected, but actually kind of cool to see!
I am genuinely uncomfortable with the photos of that guy pointing the gun at himself. I cringe every time I look at it, as if he could accidentally shoot himself in a still photo.

Krista... said...

ohhh baby cow. so cute!

Marlee said...

hahaha alicia they make me uncomfortable too! Like I said, as much as I love guns, I don't like them pointed at anybody's face, even if they're unloaded and safe. It's just an unnerving feeling!

Everyone loves baby cows <3

GoGo said...

Barrel in the crotch!

I dont think ive ever seen that before.