Wednesday, December 9, 2009

An Arising Issue

I can't ever seem to have a job that doesn't involve needing to buy shit in order to do said job.

Three Examples:

Sawmill - Must wear steel toed work boots and coveralls/crappy clothes you can wreck.
Steel Fab - Work Boots, Tools, Coveralls for contract work, and Gas to get to contract jobs.
Hairdressing - What don't you need for hairdressing that isn't expensive?

Le sigh. It makes me a little unsettled when I stop and think about the fact that "shit, when I'm done school I still don't have everything I'm going to need and will have to spend quite a few hundred dollars on more shit."

Like thinning shears for instance, I don't have a pair of those and I will need some. I also will need a different pair of scissors because I'm not an overly huge fan of what was given to us with our kit. They will do for now but I will eventually need to upgrade once I get better.

That being said, thinning shears and scissors are extremely expensive. They range anywhere from 200-1500 bucks. (Yes you heard that correctly, bet you didn't realize they could be THAT expensive did you?)

I think what frustrates me the most is that everyone expects a deal. It's hard to charge people, especially friends, for what you do. Everyone wants you to give them a deal or just to do it for free but they don't understand the cost that goes into it. You wouldn't believe the amount of times I have no had people say to me "I'm so excited for you to go to hairschool! Now you can cut my hair and I won't have to pay someone to do it!" ... Uhm excuse me? RUDE. Yes that's right, I forgot that I was spending 10 grand on a course just so I can cut peoples hair for free and bankrupt myself!

I hate, HATE telling people prices. I hate talking money with people because it's something that can easily upset people. You don't want to offend someone by saying a price they feel is completely unreasonable. But you know what? I am paying over a lot of money for this course, and that doesn't even begin to go into the expenses I will run into once I am finished the course. Not to mention I'm doing quite well at this and will continue to get even better. Modesty is something I don't have when it comes to hair, I like it, I know my shit, and I'll make you look fucking fantastic.

So no I am not going to give everyone a deal. I'm not going to start myself off on the wrong foot. Once you start that shit people expect it forever. Take my hairdresser in Fort for instance - She charged the same price for 6 years - SIX FUCKING YEARS - before she finally increased her prices. People were so pissed off with her they said they were going to start going to PG to get their hair done instead. Are you fucking kidding me? How would you feel if you weren't given a raise at work for 6 years and you were barely making a profit? She still charges less than anywhere you would go here in Vancouver or Prince George. I've paid over 250 bucks for my hair in one appointment before, NOT including a tip. Was it a lot of money? Yep you bet, but it was one of the best haircuts and colours I've ever had done. You get what you pay for people.

You are paying for a service that you cannot do yourself. If you have a problem with that then either learn how to do it yourself or find someone who's willing to rape their own bank account just to be nice to other people. I for one need to eat and pay bills the same way everyone else does.

End rant.

10 comments:

Stacey said...

I have decided that this does not apply to me. hahahaha

Marlee said...

HAHAHAHA mom you are too funny, but you are right, this does not apply to you hahaha

Smelly Danielly said...

I expect to pay you exactly what you are worth. I totally understand where you are coming from. I get the same thing, but obviously it has to do with sewing. I don't know how much time and money I have wasted sewing shit for people or fixing things with out anyone even offering me anything for my time. Why would I want to spend an entire Saturday sewing you a pair of shorts for FREE when I could be doing something for myself.

I know we want to help our friends out and stuff, and its great to be able to give someone a deal if you can, but honestly, they never realize how much work it actually takes. I totally agree with you.

I am excited to get my hair cut by someone I TRUST and is TALENTED not by someone who will do it for free.

Smelly Danielly said...

But P.S. I will still hem stuff for you because I actually love doing it and it takes me 5 minutes hahaha!

Marlee said...

It's funny you say that because I almost used you for an example! I was going to say "It's not like I go and ask Danielle to sew me shit for free just because she knows how to sew!!" It gets so frustrating!

PS I can't wait to cut your hair on Saturday, I am so friggen excited now it's not even funny!!

Marlee said...

oh and ps you are free this weekend anyways... HAHAHA WOW I just read your second comment right now and I'm leaving a similar one in response to you awwee <3 It's like we're the same person! hahahaha

PatZ said...

pff, thinning shears. SHEEP SHEARS.

leasha said...

I agree with you!
However i have the opposite problem with my friend who is a hairdresser, when she does my hair she only ever charges me $30 for my roots and then foils.... i know it is worth way more then $30 but when ever i try to pay more she gets super insulted and angry!

Marlee said...

Well, there is that issue to. For really good friends of mine yes I will give them a deal (probably just charge them for product) but it's the random people I barely ever talk to that drive me nuts! hahaha It's like "hm, I talk to you once a year... I don't think so."

Krista... said...

totally understand. i have the same situation with photos. my friends will be like...oh can you take photos of me? no discussion of money. sure i do it free a lot of times...but when someone comes to me asking for me to do photos of them then i need money! how am i supposed to survive?