Oh fall is here. There was what appeared to be FROST on my lawn this morning. That depresses me but excites me at the same time. It's a weird feeling really.
So today I'm here to propose a bit of an idea I've had going on. Not so much "propose" it, but I feel like if I write it down then I am far more likely to make this a reality.
I've been thinking a lot about the things that I want to do in roughly a year from now.
All of it will involve an incredible amount of organizing, hard work, time, and money. But I am sure that all of it will pay off in the end.
The big thing that I've been thinking a lot about is doing a fundraiser for cancer research. No I do not mean joining someone else's fundraising event, I mean creating my own. It sounds like a crazy idea I'm sure but I think my idea has potential to be successful, and the potential to become an annual event.
I figure I will call the event "Haircuts For Cancer" ... unless I can think of something a little more witty or clever. That will be a process in itself.
Everything would be dependent on the amount of volunteers because I would need quite a few skilled hairstylists (I would be hoping for at least 10-20) that would be willing to dedicate an entire weekend (12 hours Saturday and 12 hours Sunday) to supporting a good cause... and for free.
My ultimate goal would be to raise $10,000.00 for the weekend. It's not much but it is probably more than enough for a first time event. Especially seeing as how I've never done something like this before. But as things get put into motion then that figure may grow.
I would like to get set up in a park or on a busy sidewalk (maybe even the art center downtown where they do all those crazy protests??) Have a booth set up for where people can make their donations, and have stations set up where the hairstylists could do their thing.
This will NOT involve shaving everyone's head. This will actually just involve giving you a haircut that YOU want that you would regularly pay a salon to do but instead everything you pay for this haircut would go towards supporting cancer research. If we have people who want to cut off long lengths of hair to donate for wigs, all the better! I would be sure to have that option there for those who wanted to utilize it.
The only thing I am debating now is whether or not I should have a minimum donation or not. Due to the fact that there would only be the weekend to do this I don't want to have some hoser 15 year old kid come up and donate 50 cents and get a haircut that takes 20 minutes. So I think I might set a price that's say 10 bucks for men and 15-20 for women so that it at least makes it worth while for everyone.
On top of doing the haircuts on the street I was thinking of how I could get salons involved. It is unrealistic to think that you can have everyone cutting hair outside on the street, but if I could somehow get even a few salons involved where even 5-10% of every haircut/colour/perm done on that weekend gets donated to the cause it would help make it more successful.
It won't be easy to get this going but I think I'm going to aim for late spring or early summer of 2011 that way it would give me one year after I graduate my hair program to get the ball rolling. First things first I will need to decide on the cause I want to fundraise for. It's hard to pick one when all are so important, but due to the fact that a very dear friend of mine may one day lose his battle with brain cancer at such a young age I will likely fundraise for that.
For now I will get started on researching organizations and finding information on how I can make this all possible.
It is an unbelievably huge goal but it would be great to do something worth while. For about 3 maybe even 4 years I've had the "I would like to..." in my head, but now I can actually see it coming to life with an idea in mind, a number in mind, and even a rough date in mind.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Sounds like a fantastic goal to set for yourself, career wise and other wise. I want to be one of your first volunteers! I'm not so keen on the idea of a big shave but I trust you to make me look sexy in the name of the cure. ;)
Wicked cool idea. Good luck!
That is an awesome idea! i really hope it works out for you!
'cut for the cure'
i know everyone uses '... for the cure' but at least it would be recognized,, and it's catchy!
Maybe by then you could team up with your school and it would be a good way to get some publicity for new stylists.
Some quick math:
To raise $10,000 over 2 days (or 16 hours) at an average cost of $15 per haircut, you will need to do 40 haircuts an hour.
Say you can do 3 haircuts an hour for men, and 2 for women for an average of 2.5 haircuts an hour per hairdresser.
You would then need 16 hairdressers going full bore for 2 days to reach that goal.
Yes that would be about right. But I am hoping to do two 12 hour days, putting it over the course of 24 hours instead of 16. That way at an average of 2.5 haircuts per hour it would mean that one individual should average 60 haircuts over the course of the 24 hours. To reach my goal of 10,000 we would have to do 667 haircuts in total, divide by 60 and you get 11.whatever so we will say I will need 12 people.
Overall, it is more than achievable.
Post a Comment