Friday, August 7, 2009

Looking At The Good

Things I have accomplished this week instead of staying in bed feeling sorry for myself:

I have gotten dressed and gone to work 3 days in a row.

I have cut my nails, picked up a guitar and started learning a few of my favourite songs.

I have only cried myself to sleep twice since last Friday.

I went grocery shopping.

I made dinner two nights in a row.

I did all of the dishes from those dinners.

I have laughed at least once every day.

I have been able to bring myself to look at others' wedding photos without jealousy and without getting upset.

I have been genuinely happy for my cousin who just had a baby girl.

I've been genuinely happy for my brother who just bought a house.

I have gone to bed before midnight every night this week and slept for at least 7 hours without waking up at all in that time.

I have only puked once since Friday.

I have eaten small amounts each day, not all of it is healthy but I did eat a salad yesterday.

I can see all of the good and bad from the relationship but have chosen to strictly focus on the GOOD things.

While most of those things are just a part of every day life, when you're this empty it is hard to do want to do those every day things at all. I am trying my best to acknowledge that at least I am continuing on with my every day life the best I can. It's not perfect but I think it's a good start.

I am still screwed up as to what day it is... I partially blame the long weekend and missing work on Tuesday for that but it's also because my mind is obviously all over the place.

One day at a time. This will get easier.

Today's music: Taylor Swift - Breathe

"And I can't breathe without you, but I have to."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THIS is great, M! Focusing on the positive is so much more productive than the alternative. HUGS!

aliciafashionista said...

I agree with Tania...great to focus on the good :)
And you have quite a list of good things going for you right now
xo

Melanie said...

Seems like you are feeling a little better. Love the song too. Sad, but good.

Mike said...

I don't really think getting dressed and cutting your nails really qualify as accomplishments :P

but good on ya for the guitar. i picked up bass after i broke up with my HS girlfriend. helps immensely.

Marlee said...

Sure it does. I could be laying around the house naked or in sweatpants, to put on decent clothes is a bold move on my part haha.

Cutting my nails was so that I could play guitar again... I used to play years ago, I sold it to pay off bills and I've missed it. So I borrowed my friends acoustic for the time being until I can afford to buy one for myself

Barbara Doduk said...

It will get easier. Time really does heal. Good for you for focusing on the good. <3 Hugs

stef said...

ice cream, female friends, and time is the cure for a broken heart.