Monday, April 13, 2009

You are the Cheese to my Macaroni.

Two years ago today my life changed direction onto a path I never expected.

The beginning was fast. 2 months of getting to know eachother, one day of meeting and we started dating. 3 months later I had put in my notice, quit my job, and started packing boxes. I sold everything I could and only took what I needed. I packed my car to the roof with the stuff I needed, leaving only the two front seats open.

I thought it would be the hardest day of my life. I thought I would have a difficult time saying goodbye but I was so excited that I didn't get very emotional when it happened. I gave my family hugs and was on my way with my cat in the front seat. I left late in the morning, I had to finish getting everything out of my house. My dad helped. I was making the biggest move in my life without knowing exactly how it could end up. I was terrified. It took an hour and a half to get to Prince and I did cry on the way. Once things started to sink in of what I was doing and what I was leaving behind I started running scenario's through my head. I assured myself that even if things didn't work out between us that I would work to stay in Vancouver and find my happiness.

I drove to Prince George and went to drop my cat off at the spca since I couldn't find him a home. The home I had found him he didn't like. He ran away from them and made his way across town back to his home with me. I cried with how horrible I felt having to give up my poor little guy to a place where no one may take him. The spca didn't have room in PG even though I called in advance to make sure they did. They had assured me they could take him but when I got there they wouldn't. They told me I would have to drop him off in Quesnel instead.

I drove to a coffee shop where I picked up my friend Andrea. She was planning on going to Vancouver to visit her friend so she caught a ride with me. My little Ludo sat on her lap and slept until we got to Quesnel. The company was nice to have and kept my mind optimistic.

We made our way to the SPCA and finally dropped my boy off. I cried. I took him in from a shelter promising him a safe home, and I wasn't able to offer him that. But I had to be selfish and think about my possible future, so I left a good sized donation with the SPCA and got back in the car.

Andrea drove until Cache Creek which was nice. I needed time to unravel all of my thoughts and get back to ground zero. We switched seats and I finished the drive through the canyon all the way into Burnaby. As I was nearing Burnaby my moms sister called. I told her I had dropped my cat off at the SPCA in Quesnel but because of a late exit I didn't have time to stop by to say hi. She told me I was silly and went and paid the adoption fee for Ludo and gave him a home at her place with her husband and 5 boys. He loved it since she has a ton of property and he was always outside when he lived with me. It brought an ease to the situation which is exactly what I needed at that time.

Finally I dropped Andrea off at brentwood mall where she met up with her friend. It was after 11 at night at this point. I drove back to my friend Mark's house where I stayed for a couple nights.

I moved into a bedroom in a 3 bedroom home. There was a black girl from England there as well but she was leaving at the end of the month. Krystal moved in a month later to take over her bedroom.

I started spending a lot of time with you. I was a little needy at first, I didn't know anyone yet and you were my only strength and comfort. I was one girl in a city of millions now, where I used to be one girl in a town with only familiar faces.

I honestly don't know what things would have been like had things not worked out between you and I. I won't lie, I might have gone back, even if only for a little while until I gained the strength to face Vancouver again, but I was never faced with that situation.

I found refuge here. It was a long first year. I had been thrown into a place so completely unfamiliar. I had my own place in Fort, now I had two roommates. One of which I hated so I ended up moving again. I had to buy all new stuff since I sold everything when I left Fort. I had 3 accidents in the first 2 months of living here that caused so much stress. That in itself made me want to give up. The traffic was a nightmare to adjust to but finally I started becoming more and more familiar with places and found it easier to drive here.

I had to adjust to the culture shock with your family. I adjusted to the ways of your traditional family, all the while remembering my new-day family back home. I missed them dearly and had many many hard days because of it. I had no one close here outside of you and I was lonely. Very lonely.

Slowly but surely again, the year had passed and so had the holidays. I spent Christmas with your family, another difficult thing for me. Things were so different here, but a good different. I had experienced most of the holiday's and traditions with you and your family over that year. Your family accepted me and I grew to love them. I felt more and more comfortable getting to know them, but I won't lie that it was hard. I am not Italian, I am not Catholic, and I had divorced parents. Common ground was hard to find, but none the less it was found.

Things moved fast at first, but it worked for us. We were falling more and more in love with eachother.

The second year has been a breeze compared to the first. I'm adjusted to life here and have fully accepted Burnaby as my home. We started talking more and more about getting married and our future was looking great. Things have run into a lot of set backs and those set backs were cause and are still cause for a great deal of stress. We worked through it somehow, and we're still chugging along side by side.

In January my every dream came true. Until you I had never thought about marriage, I never wanted it, and was definitely weary of it. Somehow my love for you and my faith in marriages changed. I trust you with my life; my past, my present, my future. You asked me to marry you and I had no hesitations in saying yes. I want this life with you forever.

Regardless of all the things we've run into that have pushed us a few steps back, we've perservered and I still feel as though we are the ones on top. As hard as it can be sometimes to see the good when there's so much going on, I always find that I am blessed to have you in my life. I will be your wife, and you - my husband; that is the greatest gift I could ever ask for.

It's hard to believe that one normal every day conversation (with some extra swearing on my behalf) ended up turning into this.



You are the love of my life.

Happy Anniversary Dario!


6 comments:

Smelly Danielly said...

It is NOT fair to make me cry first thing Monday morning!!!

That was so cute. Happy Anniversary guys!!!

Mike said...

oh jesus... this post doesn't make me feel uncomfortable about moving at allllll.

Shaz said...

Awww sweet post, thanks for the silly photo at the end, needed it before I cried.

You guys are so good together, Happy Anniversary!

Krista said...

After reading all that and seeing the picture I had to laugh a little. What a tale. Honestly I couldn't remember all that stuff! But it sounds like you made a worth while change in your life, congrats. I wish I could sneak into your wedding but I'm happy to see the pictures that will come.

Good on you both. <3

Marlee said...

Well honestly, I don't have too many NORMAL pictures of Dario and I... so I thought it would be best to put up a stupid picture since we have so many of those haha.

Thanks everyone :)

Sorry for making you cry Danielle!

PS: Mike, don't be nervous. It's obviously a little scary but things seem to find a way to work out.

Ophelia Mourne said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! <3